Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tire Pressure?

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tire Pressure?

This is my first set of pneumatic tires. On them, it says to keep the PSI at 85 - 145. Do you keep them closer to the lower or higher end of that scale?

Also, since you lose some of the pressure while taking the pump's nozzle off (If you're not quick about it, at least, haha), how big of a difference between the two tires would it take to notice it, or to cause a problem? For instance, if one is at 85 PSI and the other is at 75 PSI, would you notice it?

Thanks again everyone for all the the help. I appreciate it very much.

I've been rocking Schwalbe's for a couple years now. I used to keep them at 110-115psi, only because I was using a manual pump and my arms would give out around there, but I'm a lazy bastard, so I usually wouldn't pump them up again until they were down around 70 psi. You can definitely tell a big difference between the two, much easier to roll at higher pressures, and less squeaky on linoleum floors when turning.

Now my manual pump is a little busted, and I had to buy a home depot electric pump, the best I could find only gets me to 90psi. It's acceptable... i guess... but if I could find a pump capable of it, I'd run 120+ all day long.

If I was you, I'd fill it up to 85 psi and run around for a couple days, then pump it up as high as your pump will go (if you've got one that can reach 145psi, let me know what brand, cuz I want that!). See if you notice a difference.

I run them at 100 and the Black and Decker Air station and the Goodyear I5000 will both pump them up to the max of 145psi if you like. You can get either on Amazon I have one of each, one upstairs and one in the basement. There are others that will do the job as well...

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    ...clip...Also, since you lose some of the pressure while taking the pump's nozzle off (If you're not quick about it, at least, haha)...clip...
    Once you flip the lever, I think the tube valve is closed. That whoosh of air you hear would be air in the delivery hose to the valve. That is of course you are using the lever type hose. The screw down is difficult to remove quickly closing the valve.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I'm on my 2nd set of MPEs; been running them at 140# for four years (I like hard tires), and top them off every week (at which time they're down to ~125) with a Serfas FMP-500 Floor Pump (I can stand), which pumps to 260 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    . . . (if you've got one that can reach 145psi, let me know what brand, cuz I want that!). . .

Sheldon Brown's website on bicycles discusses tire pressures.

Last edited by chasmengr; 12-10-2014 at 02:25 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I just bought Android "Bicycle Tire Pressure App" ($2.50), which says I should be running 115psi in my tires . . . I'll try it to see how I like it.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

This are my air pressure gadget:

Name:  electric pump.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  123.1 KB

Name:  airpressure.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  49.1 KB

My electric pump has a screw down hose. Whenever screw down or up the hose, tire will lose 10psi. So I will pump 10psi more than I want.
    I pump my marathon plus to 130psi (when screw up the hose will become 120psi), and my kenda to 110psi (I will pump up to 120psi ).
    The tires will lose 20psi after a week, so I pump every week.
    Most of my friends are lazy or ignorant, they just don't care how much pressure of the tire. And they start complaining the tire is not durable when it crack.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

I have electric pump. Only foes to 125. I run close to that. Clip loses air when really high. I hold it with my hand. You will begin to see change in performance and the strength required by yourself to push chair the lower you run the pressure. Higher pressure will give you better performance but "bumpier" ride. Lower pressure will give smother ride but lower the pressure the greater the loss of performance. It is your decision.

Craftsman makes a 19.2 volt air pump that works great.

I have a contractor, dual tank style compressor in my garage. It goes to 150psi. I fill my Marathons between 130-135psi., then refill when they start to feel squishy (usually 2-3 months). My inner tubes have really good schrader valves (installed by TiLite). They don't leak any significant amount when I remove the air chuck.

You do need to use really good quality inner tubes at these pressures, up to 145psi. Anyone who's had a blow out can tell you how bad that can be.