Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning

Turning

how often should you turn at night I sleep on side but my leg that is flipped on pillow and bent is starting to contract.

I slept last night on my back for about 4hrs is that to much 13 yrs post

Blog Entries
    It might depend on your sleeping surface. I use a Roho and every 3 hours works for me. From what I have read here, a low air loss mattress give you the best pressure protection. Keep an eye out for red areas.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

The magic number used to be every two hours. However as Tom suggests the time varies according to things like the sleeping surface, body build, spasticity, etc. You have to gauge your own time by watching for reddened areas and experiencing autonomic dysreflexia if you have a high level injury. I tolerated sleeping on one side all night on a regular mattress for most of my SCI life. But as my wife pointed out I did not really stay in one position very long because of spasms or movement because of shoulder discomfort, and unexplained tossing about (maybe while dreaming). I did this despite having scar tissue from wounds dating back to my injury on my hips and sacrum. For the past few years I have been doing the same thing on a low air loss mattress. This is a precaution because my ancient body (77 years old) is not as resilient as it once was.

Just by dressing and undressing in bed I put my lower extremities through a good rom regimen. Probably because of my active lifestyle I have never had a problem with contractures.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I'm injured 34 years C4-C5 complete and every few days I sleep on my left side but most nights I'm on my back. When I'm on my back I lay flat and have a folded sheet tucked under the mattress then across my knees and tucked under the other side of the mattress. If my legs jump at all the sheet holds my legs down all night and i get stretched out flat. I figure I am in the sitting position all day I should lay flat at night.

I have slept slept on a Pegasus Trinova Dynamic Mattress System for the past 15 years and don't need to turn.

Pegasus Trinova Dynamic Mattress System

A fully automatic high end alternating one in three cell cycle (7.5minutes) powered pressure relief air mattress replacement system and dynamic alternating cushion used for prevention and treatment of Grade 1-4 pressure ulcers providing 24 hour care for individuals who sit out of bed. Recommended for anyone at high to very high risk of developing pressure sores. Removable Dartex coated clinical top cover comes standard.
    More Details

Features
    * Suitable for hospital, nursing home, rehabilitation and private home community use
    * Replaceable air cells top deck
    * Heavy duty replaceable non- kink air tubing and power unit parts (e.g. Piston compressor (longer life span))
    * Silent power control unit

Structure
    * Twist mode cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) emergency valve
    * Patent pending welded air cells for optimum user comfort (No bottoming out)
    * Polyurethane sealed seams and waterfall flap for total infection control
    * Heavy duty fire retardant power unit casing
    * Push mode childproof power unit control panel
    * Mattress and power unit meets all International, Australian and TGA standards
    * Double layered to protect trunks and heels through airwave action
    * Integral side formers assist in safe bed to chair step down transfers
    * Zoned sacral and heel areas for enhanced protection

Attachment
    * Mattress: secures firmly to any profiling or non-profiling bed frame with adjustable nylon straps on all corners
    * Power unit: secures with two hangers safely over the bed footboard

Cover
    * Removable for laundering and fitted to under mattress
    * Dartex material: Washable, anti-static, anti allergenic, biocompatibility, breathable, fire retardant, two way stretch, waterproof, weldable seams (optional) and easy to slide patient up and down the mattress on the smooth top cover surface finish reducing shear and friction

Power Control Unit
    * Electric 220/240V
    * Attaches to mattress with umbilical cord
    * Is portable when using together with the Trinova dynamic alternating seating cushion
    * On/Off switch
    * Fully automatic (Interface pressure gets adjusted to the user weight)
    * Illuminated display status, audible and visual alarm, user guide supplied
    * User friendly operating mode

Customised features
    * Can be customised to fit any non single beds e.g. king, king-single, queen, etc
    * Partners can still sleep comfortable beside one another
    * Available in narrow width

Safety features
    * Warning Signals: service, low pressure, power failure, CPR deflate, inflate mode
    * Easily accessible CPR Emergency mechanism (mattress deflates under 10 seconds)
    * Automatic default Static to Dynamic alternating for clinical peace of

Includes: Mattress, Chair Cushion, and Pump
    ^^(A)^^

Like said above, a lot of factors go into that. I am 12+ years post accident and probably 99+% of time have been on my back. Really no issues from that. I do though wear boots for ankle brace. Once in a while I do have issues with heel getting irritated.

Dont turn at all, sleep on my stomach all night long. My feet hang of the mattress so they not flattened out, seem to work out so far.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    Dont turn at all, sleep on my stomach all night long. My feet hang of the mattress so they not flattened out, seem to work out so far.
    This is my routine too. There's no need to turn, I sleep sound for 7-8 hours.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's kinda lazy.

At T8 complete, I sleep on my back... on the couch in my tiny ass apartment.

BTW Russian, it's good to see another Charlottean on here. I grew up in Charlotte, lived there for my first 28 years before I moved away for school recently.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post

BTW Russian, it's good to see another Charlottean on here. I grew up in Charlotte, lived there for my first 28 years before I moved away for school recently.
    funklab, I moved here from upstate NY in 2007, love it here.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Sleep on back 8 to 12hrs every nite on Tempurpedic no issues.