Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Drug can repair spinal cord injuries, study shows

The positive key word here my friends is "drug" ...if the drug companies can make money on this then we all know the FDA will be on board. If this actually works or has the potential to work you might see it be available suprisingly quick when compared to all the other potential options that are held back by red tape.I would be down to start a million man roll on DC when the time is right...although that may not be necessary since the drug companies will make billions.

Quote Originally Posted by M3N7AL View Post
    I would be down to start a million man roll on DC when the time is right..
    Except there are not 1 million people living with SCI in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    Except there are not 1 million people living with SCI in America.
    It's actually even higher than that. There are 1.2 to 1.3 million according to some of the CDC & CDRF estimates and 8+ million living with some form of paralysis in the USA. Around 12,000 are added to the rolls in the USA each year, and some estimate it's closer to 15,000 for SCI. Stroke is around 600,000 per year. These are the 2 top categories for paralysis: SCI and Stroke. (SCI is 1.3 million and Stroke is 5.8 million)
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 12-15-2014 at 05:08 PM.

What I don't understand is why the # of SCI is so nebulous. Shouldn't every hospital document incidence and report to a national registry? HIPPA laws or is there another reason?

There is not a requirement in every state and even where there is there is non-compliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    What I don't understand is why the # of SCI is so nebulous. Shouldn't every hospital document incidence and report to a national registry? HIPPA laws or is there another reason?

The sequence of the genome is published in Dr. Silver's paper. Does anyone here know anything about microbiology? Is it possible to get this drug produced and the go out of country for treatment (assuming administering it here impossible)? In a perfect world I would like to have my hardware removed, a stem cell treatment, and this drug treatment, all in one hospital visit.

Are there companies that can produce this drug based on the published information?

so frustrating that is why all here demanding for quick cure. looks no one listens our voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlevy View Post
    The sequence of the genome is published in Dr. Silver's paper. Does anyone here know anything about microbiology? Is it possible to get this drug produced and the go out of country for treatment (assuming administering it here impossible)? In a perfect world I would like to have my hardware removed, a stem cell treatment, and this drug treatment, all in one hospital visit.

Are there companies that can produce this drug based on the published information?
    I don't think you heard the last of the presentation where Dr. Silver explained the outcomes so far in chronic studies.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 12-17-2014 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    It's actually even higher than that. There are 1.2 to 1.3 million according to some of the CDC & CDRF estimates and 8+ million living with some form of paralysis in the USA. Around 12,000 are added to the rolls in the USA each year, and some estimate it's closer to 15,000 for SCI. Stroke is around 600,000 per year. These are the 2 top categories for paralysis: SCI and Stroke. (SCI is 1.3 million and Stroke is 5.8 million)
    I believe those numbers my be "in the world" and someone made a mistake, which would be a big mistake to be on CDRF in my opinion though so maybe I am the one who is wrong. This is what I see though: "Prevalence: The number of people in the United States who are alive in 2013 who have SCI has been estimated to be approximately 273,000 persons, with a range of 238,000 to 332,000 persons." - https://www.nscisc.uab.edu/PublicDoc...cts%202013.pdf

Occurrence

• About 200,000 people are currently living with SCI in the United States.2,14

http://www.cdc.gov/traumaticbraininjury/scifacts.html

We don't have a mandated database. But, it's ok to use your theory if you like it. That puts us using the bare old minimum estimate of 12,000 SCI per year in the USA and of those, everyone only survives their injury for 16.66 years. I thought the survival statistics were a whole lot better than that...

http://www.berkelbike.com/sci_mortality_en/
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 12-16-2014 at 04:24 AM.