Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Drug can repair spinal cord injuries, study shows

Post Drug can repair spinal cord injuries, study shows

By James GallagherHealth editor, BBC News website

A drug that can encourage nerves in the spinal cord to grow and repair injuries has been developed by US scientists.
    The study on rats, published in the journal Nature, showed some degree of movement and bladder control could be restored.
    The drug works by disrupting the "sticky glue" that prevents nerve cells from growing during an injury.
    Further tests still need to take place, but the charity Spinal Research said "real progress" was being made.
    Damage to the spinal cord interrupts the constant stream of electrical signals from the brain to the body.
    It can lead to paralysis below an injury.
    The team at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, in Ohio, said scar tissue that formed after an injury prevented spinal cord repair.
    Sugary proteins are released by the scar tissue which act like glue.
    The long spindly part of the nerve - the axon - gets trapped in the glue if it tries to cross the site of the injury.
    'Amazing'The research team injected a chemical under the skin which crossed into the spinal cord and disrupted the activity of the glue.
    "It was amazing - the axons kept growing and growing," said lead researcher Prof Jerry Silver.
    In the tests, 21 out of 26 rats showed some degree of recovery either in their ability to move or in bladder function.
    Prof Silver told the BBC: "What we could see was really remarkable. Some recovered to a fantastic extent and so well you could hardly tell there was an injury."
    He says further testing in larger animals is needed before human trials can take place.
    But he sees any future therapy resulting from the research as working in conjunction with other treatments being pioneered such as nerve transplants and electrical stimulation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30254698
    http://www.zmescience.com/medicine/g...ssue-28112014/
    http://www.scienceclarified.com/Mu-Oi/Mutation.html
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/21...mprovement.htm

How many small animal studies have shown "promising" or "exciting" results in treating SCI's? Seems like alot. But yet, still nothing for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    How many small animal studies have shown "promising" or "exciting" results in treating SCI's? Seems like alot. But yet, still nothing for us.

Give me the pill I'd give $100,000 for that, and wouldn't hesitate one second to take it.

Does anyone know these people? Is there any way we can get access to it? I would go out of country for this treatment.

Im not too far from Case Western. I may see if Jerry Silver allows folks to come in and learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlevy View Post
    Does anyone know these people? Is there any way we can get access to it? I would go out of country for this treatment.
    Im with you

Quote Originally Posted by Dlevy View Post
    No straight up man, this is a drug, not a surgery that means there's potential, and easy to use. How can we get our hands on this. Almost 1500 rats, more than good enough for me yeah I want that, name your price people

If a bio-chemist synthesized it correctly – and people tried it. We would know pretty quickly.

Dallas Buyers Club???

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    If a bio-chemist synthesized it correctly – and people tried it. We would know pretty quickly.

Dallas Buyers Club???
    Chaz yes, fucking YES Dallas buyers club for SCI I'm not even joking, someone did it for aids so why not. I mean so many of us are trying to prove were just as active and efficient, so let's do it.... (thanks quietly) but how.