Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Here Lives in Florida? I'm seriously Thinking of moving from...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Sorry, it's the first I'm seeing this.
    In response I must say where I come from $1,000 barely covers monthly parking.
    It's like anything else, do your homework.

My point. If you are living off a fix income don't come to south Florida.

What is the delineation between South Florida and Affordable Florida??

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    My point. If you are living off a fix income don't come to south Florida.
    In your honest opinion RM, where does the drop off in unaffordable FL begin?
    North of Boyton and west of 95?

Hey...
    I have my Florida dream too.

After visiting my Doctor today in Toronto and 200 km driving in brutal coldness when
    I came home I touch my legs and felt them as icicles. Heating in my Ford Freestar somehow is not good enough..

If I ever solve puzzle as I am not US citizen / what to do with health Insurance / I have only low basic Insurance.
    My health is OK so far but 52 years young if I keep barely surviving cold winters as this one I will need to see doctor daily...

From the other side, my work is based on online sales and design and
    would benefit actually if I move down South as more than 90% of my customers are in USA.

If any Canadian here with SCI figure out how to spend winter in Florida and work there please let me know?
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    In your honest opinion RM, where does the drop off in unaffordable FL begin?
    North of Boyton and west of 95?
    Being honest with you. I really don't know how any one can live off a government fix income here in S. Florida. I live with a higher income then most so I'm not use to just getting by. But if I lost everything today I could sweek by with 40,000. And that would be tough going here.
    And with this administration things are only getting worse. Because their letting more and more people on the doll with all these new immigration laws. Less money to go around. I talk to friends that are waiting for new chairs for over two years now that would of had them within a year 10 years ago. More and more paper work and proof.

Rain, we're not talking income

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Being honest with you. I really don't know how any one can live off a government fix income here in S. Florida. I live with a higher income then most so I'm not use to just getting by. But if I lost everything today I could sweek by with 40,000. And that would be tough going here.
    And with this administration things are only getting worse. Because their letting more and more people on the doll with all these new immigration laws. Less money to go around. I talk to friends that are waiting for new chairs for over two years now that would of had them within a year 10 years ago. More and more paper work and proof.
    ....,we're talking location, coordinates if you will, approximation here. To be the spokesmen here we need to understand where you're referring? Somewhere between gator ally and the state line? Most of us know our own financial positions, but you make it seem downright unfriendly to chair-goers. Maybe that's it? I mean I see the issue with citizenship, I dont 'spect you answer how we can beat ICE, but other stuff?

A lot depends of where you want to live. I'm in central florida. Not in a big city. 50 miles from Orlando or Tampa. I got a deal on a nice mobile home park unit. Only needed a couple ramps and I'm good. 500 a month lot fee, plus, cable, elect, phone. Small town with Walmart, etc. I found the town by going on a site called: www.findyourspot.com

Egad. What is the minimum wage in South Florida? Are workers bused in from other areas to work lower paying jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent K View Post
    Egad. What is the minimum wage in South Florida? Are workers bused in from other areas to work lower paying jobs?
    Don't get me wrong. Their are lot of very poor people and area's in S. Florida. Hell we have tons of homeless here. But I don't think anyone wants to move here to live among them. Its not safe and there are plenty of better places to live. My office is on a major highway. Every day when I go to and leave work I'm looking around to make sure it safe to go to my van to the door. Friday right outside my door of my office cops had their guns drawn on somebody. Never found out what that was about. Today going to work they were pulling a car out of a canal down the street from my office with a dead body in it.

S. Florida is a transit type area. People coming and going. Lots are running away from something. Most people don't even know their neighbors. And they don't want to. If this is what your looking for. Come join me in this rat race.

I lived in Florida many years (C-6 quad). Lots of pros to living there: Quads pay no property tax in the entire state, no state income tax, lots of accessibility, not many hills, warm weather, etc. Also, if you're a quad who works but also needs a PCA, there's a state program that pays your PCA, if you make under $60k a year. Cons: high humidity, mosquitos, politics.

I lived in both Tampa and South Florida (Ft Lauderdale), and there are pros and cons to both areas. I preferred South Florida.

It's too darn hot in the summer, the humidity can be rough as it makes it feel even more hot.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred