Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Here Lives in Florida? I'm seriously Thinking of moving from...

I moved to Pensacola from northern Wisconsin because of the weather. The only reason I chose Pensacola is because I have family here. Cost of living is low here. The price of house insurance is about double it was in Wisconsin but other things are cheaper, that evens it out. I would prefer living on the east side of Florida though because you can drive your car onto the beach. You can actually get around with a wheelchair on the beach because it packs. The sugar sand in the Gulf is very very difficult to get through and there's no driving onto the beach. It looks a lot nicer here in the Gulf but I have to view it from a distance.

Tampa, Orlando, Miami all have good SCI doctor resources. Try to live close to one of these places, esp. if you plan
    to grow old in your new location. The Florida Spinal Cord Injury Center in Florida is established by state law and funded by the state.
    It is based in Tampa and the website is http://www.fscirc.com/ Florida is flat and access is generally good because there is so much
    new construction. Try to settle in a place within range of doctors and hospital than already know about spinal cord injury and related secondary issues.
    It isn't fun to try to educate clueless doctors in a semi-acute situation, believe me .

Quote Originally Posted by Crashbang View Post
    Try to settle in a place within range of doctors and hospital than already know about spinal cord injury and related secondary issues.
    It isn't fun to try to educate clueless doctors in a semi-acute situation, believe me .
    Kind of sad that we can't settle down in any area like most people can. The physicians in the county in which I live, recommend that I travel ninety some miles for any ailment having to do with SCI. A rehab center is less than a 30 minute drive from my home and they recommend the same. On another note, I envy you all that live in Florida.

Rainman

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    If you live on a fix income don't look towards S. Florida. Its very expensive to live here.
    You scareeople away. What, coming from the Northeast you don't think we know about expensive living?
    A home at $500 would be our understanding of the bottom of the range, I would expect average to be in $750 price point no? Unless of course we're seeking h2o front, then prices are probably silly. No?

Tim C.,
    Everything is expensive here. For example, 50,000 condo, the insurance for the year would cost you 1000.00yr. If you have good credit and a clean driving record your van insurance will be 1000.00 yr. If your credit is not so good try 2000.00 or more. Property taxes 2%yr. No state tax but everything else comes with taxes. You want to fish fresh/salt 48.00yr. You want to do any remodeling. Permits will cost 500.00 or more. You want to go out and eat cheap for two 25.00 or better depending on how low end you want to go. You can go to McD FOR 20.00. Your electric and water will be close to 200.00 a month. I can go on and on here.

Now I do have to say we do have a lot of free events like concerts and festivals. But if you want to eat or drink you will get hammered.

Tim C.
    If your looking to rent. anything under a 1000.00 a month would be rough.

Hi,

Just googled the forum and Florida. We live in Florida. My son is a c6. He reads the Forum but never posts -- he's that kind of guy!

The good of course is there isn't any snow and the winter months are great. But the summer can be difficult on someone with SCI. Heatstroke is a real problem for many months of the year. It's hard to think about when it's cold, but for 3 months of the year my son can only go from air conditioned place to air conditioned place.

We moved from NJ about 6 months prior to his event. If you have financial resources, you will most likely do well. But if you have to rely on social services (Medicare and Medicaid), be prepared to find out the bad. There is good reason why it's cheap to live in Florida -- they spend no money on social services.

Good luck!

I'm Italiand and i love Florida. I would like to live

Don't mind the rain Rain

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Tim C.
    If your looking to rent. anything under a 1000.00 a month would be rough.
    Sorry, it's the first I'm seeing this.
    In response I must say where I come from $1,000 barely covers monthly parking.
    It's like anything else, do your homework.