Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Here Lives in Florida? I'm seriously Thinking of moving from...

Question Who Here Lives in Florida? I'm seriously Thinking of moving from...

Hi,

It has been A while since I have been on care cure and maybe even longer since I last put up a post or question.

I'm reaching out to CCC to ask if anyone lives in Florida? If you don't know me yet I am a C5 quadriplegic who sustained a spinal cord injury
    15 years ago at the age of 19. I have been born and raised in Chicago and have lived here my whole life, but after 15 years of having an SCI
    I am sick and tired of the six months of terrible and cold weather. I have been looking online at real estate properties and have found many great
    Deals, especially when it comes down to property taxes.

Currently I live in Mount Prospect Illinois in a three-bedroom two bath ranch home on a quarter acre piece of land and we nearly pay $6000 a year in property tax.
    I love the outdoors and it drives me crazy to be sitting inside for five months out of the year. I also love driving and racing my UTV's but unfortunately with the Chicago weather
    There are only about five good riding months all year. There's also the fact that I would like to move on to a bigger property so that I can build my own riding and race track.
    I know that in Florida I can buy a house similar to the same size I am living in now but with land between five and 30 acres and property taxes with still only be a third of what we are paying now living in the Northwest suburbs of Illinois.

I know that Florida can get pretty and really hot and muggy three months of the year, but I would rather sit inside with air conditioning and a T-shirt on, or inside a cool pool.
    I'm currently 34 years old almost about to hit 35. I have a fianc? and we have been dating for over three years. She is totally in on relocating Down to Florida. We don't have any kids and we aren't in any serious debt so I think now would be the best time to make the move.

I have been to Florida three times and very much enjoy all different parts of it. When it comes to looking for properties I have been looking between Orlando and Tampa.
    I also have A couple cousins and friends that live in Florida including my fianc? sister who lives right outside Orlando.

I'm writing to ask if there are any other quads out there who lived in the sunshine State? I would love to chat back and forth and get your opinion on living in the state of Florida.

I am not only moving out there to get away from the terrible weather and cold, but also want to start and open the biggest and best Adaptive Action Adventure, & Motorsports Park and Ranch!

I would love to hear anyone any opinions or advice?

Thank you for reading this and I hope to hear from some Floridians.

Leading the good times roll,
    John Mryczko II

www.J2RollsOn.com
    www.SuperChairing.org
    J2

28/M/chicago/C5-c6 quad Comp.
    [url]
    www.J2RollsOn.com

I relocated to Fl where i was originally from after my accident , i was living in upstate NY and i too couldnt stand the weather so i packed up after a few months and came home to the SUNSHINE state ... I live in Palm Beach County Southern FL and in our county quads are exempt fully from property tax.... I live out west about 25-30 minutes from the beach and theres many places that properties are in the 5 acre range ... Did i mention BEACH or BIKINI'S ? Any other ?'s inbox me and i'll send you my number and i'll try answering any further ?'s .....

Quote Originally Posted by GJ2 View Post
    I live in Palm Beach County Southern FL and in our county quads are exempt fully from property tax....
    Any ideas for paras? Gotta say, fully improved lots with no tax sure does sound interesting!

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: portletTitle, bgcolor: #D5B883"]

Physician's Certification of Disability Form

[/TD]
    [TD="class: portletTitle_r"] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    The Property Appraiser’s Office is pleased to provide you with the Physician's Certification Form (DR416) and the Optometrist’s Form (DR416-B)
    Any real estate used and owned as a homestead by any quadriplegic is exempt from taxation. Please submit Form DOR416 from two unrelated licensed Florida physicians to verify the disability.
    Property owners who are paraplegic, hemiplegic or other totally and permanently disabled persons who must use a wheelchair for mobility may apply for total exemption from property taxes on their home. Please submit Form DOR416 from two unrelated licensed Florida physicians to verify the disability.
    Property owners who are legally blind may apply for total exemption from property taxes on their home. Please submit Optometrist’s Certification form (DR416-B) from two unrelated licensed Florida optometrists to verify the disability.
    These exemptions require you to submit a Gross Income statement to verify your household income. No income limit is required for a quadriplegic.
    Property owners with a total and permanent disability but who do not require a wheelchair for mobility, or are legally blind and exceed the income limit may be eligible for an additional $500 exemption. They must be currently certified to be totally and permanently disabled by a physician licensed in this state, or by the Social Security Administration.
    For more information, please call us at (561) 355-2866.

the link to our tax office !!!!!!
    http://www.pbcgov.com/papa/Physician...Disability.htm

I live in Palm Beach county to. Property taxes is exempt if used as a private home. But if you're going to use it commercially for a business you don't get the exemption. I think you're looking in the right area to move to. Much cheaper to live there then south Florida. It's very expensive here in the south. The best thing about living in Florida is there is always something to do. You can pm me any questions. I work 6 days so it might take a day for a reply.

Please stop tempting me!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Hello everyone who has seen this post and thank you to those who have replied. So far I have heard nothing but good things about living in Florida, other than those three very hot months of the year. I will just go scuba diving or come back to Chicago for the summer months to hang out with Friends and family here. I will definitely have a place to crash and stay. Yes I have heard about quadriplegics being exempt from property taxes as long as you do not make or earn A certain amount if you have A job. I do understand that if we go ahead and open up my goal and dream of an Adaptive Sports Park, Ranch, & Resort taxes Will be different, but if it works out the way I hope it does they will be worth paying.
    If we get enough people interested in coming to the ranch and resort as I already have been I don't think we will have a problem raising money for those taxes.
    The ranch and resort would probably also be run by the 501c3 non-for profit Organization I started called Super Chairing.org. That may help us with getting charged less in tax.

I possibly have plans to drive out to Florida on December 20th to not only get away from this awful weather, but also to check out a few properties I have found online that would be perfect to live in and also start our business. I'm sure I have to check out and make sure that the zoning laws for the properties I'm interested in Will allow us to build a track and allow us to drive our adaptive all-terrain vehicles. The AATV's is what most people Will probably come out for, but our goal is to incorporate and give people a chance to try at least one dozen different adaptive sports.

GJ2 thanks for your responses, I would love to talk to you more if you have the time. If so then just please e-mail me at J2Racing@hotmail.com and we can just talk online or I can send you my phone number.

I'm less than a month away from turning 35 and feel like I am having a midlife crisis, but most likely I am just sick and fed up of not being able to go outside when it's below 50? because my body just gets stiff and hurts. I feel like an 80-year-old man with a 25 year old mind. All I want to do these days is go riding and getting as much seat time as I can in my RZR AATV. It's the one thing, (other than my fianc?) that makes me the happiest and makes me feel mentally stable. It's these cold chicago months of the year between October and April that just drive me crazy. If I didn't say it before I love the outdoors and I love being active, and five months out of the year I just can't do that up here. Which probably is the reason that there are many days I feel a sort of depression, or as I would call it adrenaline withdrawals. You would think after 15 years of having a C5 SCI I would be used to this cold weather or my body would adapt to it, but it just seems like it's getting worse. Not only the physical pain, but also the psychological and mental stress.

I hope this will be the last November and December that I ever spend more than a few days in this city I was born and raised in. I am ready to move on and start somewhere fresh and start something new. ;o)
    J2

28/M/chicago/C5-c6 quad Comp.
    [url]
    www.J2RollsOn.com

Good luck with house hunting, I'm currently looking in the same region as you to escape the cold winters (and summers lol) of Sweden.

J2X good luck in your move.

Climate is the number criteria my quad daughter is using to choose her college next year. You have so much more independence when you don't have to deal with the cold, snow, and ice.

If you live on a fix income don't look towards S. Florida. Its very expensive to live here.