Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Here Lives in Florida? I'm seriously Thinking of moving from...

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    Just wondering, how many other states in the US allow SCI's to be property tax exempt?
    Indiana is one of them also
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Good luck. Florida is a good choice too. Which part?
    I'm going with Orlando or surrounding suburbs. Making an offer on the house today. 2300 ft.? 4 bedrooms 2 bathrooms
    I live in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago and here you can't even buy a nice house for the price you pay in Florida

I live in Indiana near Indianapolis. I use to love the winter and the snow ( I grew up in Michigan) but since I've got hurt the winters are terrible. I like a little snow around Christmas but then I'm over it and I'm stuck looking at my trike wishing I could ride! Anyway my plan is to move somewhere south maybe Georgia or Florida to get away from the snow. Keep us posted on how things go with the move and how you like it. I love the idea of the adaptive sports park.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    I'm going with Orlando or surrounding suburbs. Making an offer on the house today. 2300 ft.? 4 bedrooms 2 bathrooms
    I live in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago and here you can't even buy a nice house for the price you pay in Florida
    Orlando should be fun. Just remember one thing about Florida. The further north you go the deeper south you get (if you catch my drift). Good luck.

This map is pretty much on point. If I could, I'd move closer to a Florida city that has a big university and SCI doctors: Tampa, Orlando, West Palm Beach, Miami.
    Growing older with an SCI in Florida without local SCI doctors is challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashbang View Post
    This map is pretty much on point. If I could, I'd move closer to a Florida city that has a big university and SCI doctors: Tampa, Orlando, West Palm Beach, Miami.

I live in Florida and I love this map. It tells you everything

Quote Originally Posted by scimike View Post
    I live in Florida and I love this map. It tells you everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashbang View Post

That map makes life in Florida look pretty dismal...add unbearably hot summers and...why does anyone want to move or live there? What are the upsides of living in Florida? Full disclosure, NL's brother and wife live there (raised a family there), and we can't understand why they stay. Fuller disclosure, NL and I grew up in Phoenix, AZ and still have family there, and yet AZ has absolutely no appeal to us.

NL and I have spent many hours on Sunday afternoons over a glass of wine, wondering where else we would want to try to live. Tough question! Is there an ideal place? We haven't found one. And while we are comfortable and established with friends, community and good medical care, the San Francisco Bay Area is not ideal.
    Last edited by gjnl; 02-26-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    That map makes life in Florida look pretty dismal...add unbearably hot summers and...why does anyone want to move or live there? What are the upsides of living in Florida? Full disclosure, NL's brother and wife live there (raised a family there), and we can't understand why they stay. Fuller disclosure, NL and I grew up in Phoenix, AZ and still have family there, and yet AZ has absolutely no appeal to us.

NL and I have spent many hours on Sunday afternoons over a glass of wine, wondering where else we would want to try to live. Tough question! Is there an ideal place? We haven't found one. And while we are comfortable and established with friends, community and good medical care, the San Francisco Bay Area is not ideal.
    You would probably appreciate this similar one for California!!!

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

This thread got my interest going. Gotta like the automatic slab and masonry construction. Anyone got names of new construction builders to recommend that are easy to deal with when wanting things like flush threshold doors and custom design so the bathroom isn't a closet? Also, which parts of FL are least prone to sinkholes?

I just made an offer on the house in Orlando. The offer got accepted, our closing is going to be in April. Excited.