Thread: Recumbent Trike or a Handcycle?

Recumbent Trike or a Handcycle?

Hello,

I am trying to help a customer to get eaither a Recumbent Trike or a handcycle, He already tested a recumbent trike you can see at the video, but Iam not sure if I can adjust it to his disability, (watch video) I would appreciate if you can look at his disability and recommend if a Recumbent trike can be modified to help his left leg from falling down as well as controlling side movements.
    Or if you would recomend a Hand Cycle. His disability is not being able to move his left leg to some extreme degree.
    Here are some videos to see his disability and listed mesurements.

length 178cm length
    48 inch waist
    x seam 100cm
    shouldrer 52cm

Videos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i4bdc3xyt...JHa8Uya?dl=0#/

Thank you

GF

With a 48 inch waist it may be a challenge to find a handcycle that would fit. Perhaps a Freedom Ryder FRH would work.

He needs to have a good pair of cycling shoes with cleats that attach to the foot pedal. The cleats would stop the left leg from sliding off and also provide support on the up and down stroke of the pedals. Would be less stran on the right leg also.

The length of the stroke also looks like it is too short thus creating the bend in the left leg to be more pronounced. Can you lengthen the boom at all?

I don't know anyone with trykes that don't use cycling shoes with cleats.

it would be helpful if you were to discuss the need of your client. is intended use for rehab, mobility restoration, grocery hauling, recreation? what type of surface would he be riding over? would he have steep slopes to overcome? such matters. his weight is also an important factor in choosing a trike.

other factors to consider. does your client have arthritis? ability to transfer? impaired balance? would electric assist be a necessity?

the tadpole type of recumbent pictured is not a safe choice for those with leg problems. if a foot should slip from the pedals while that type of trike is moving, it can strike the crossbar and cause catastrophic injury to the limb. you might wish to search the term 'leg-suck' for further understanding.

clipping the feet onto the pedals as previous post suggests? absolutely not! that type of comment comes from the spin crowd where they push the pedal forward, then pull it back on the return stroke to imitate conventional bicycle pedaling effect. totally inappropriate advice for the impaired rider.

there are several adaptive pedals available for securing lower limbs. you can browse the utah trike catalog entry under 'pedals' for the sunlite version of such. bicycleman is another good site to view other types.

the most bang for the buck is probably the sun usx-hd delta recumbent. it is rated at 400 pounds and will fit through a standard door. put regular handlebars on it, a shimano nexus-8 hub on the rear wheel with a 22-tooth sprocket mounted along with an origen-8 chain tensioner. get a sunlite adaptive pedal platform installed for the bad leg on a 152 mm crankset.

this configuration will, as they say, enable your client to climb a wall and allow easy higher gearing installation as the legs get stronger. i have the same setup on my current tadpole which is shortly going to be replaced by a sun usx rigged as above.

probably talking $2000 or so from utah trike. wintertime slowdown for the trike trade, they might paint it hiviz yellow for free. i dont work for utah trikes - just spend too much money there - but they have an interest in the handicapped rider and the rare capability of modifying frames to fit needs.

people with good legs often express amazement at the price of a recumbent, but they are unable to comprehend the meaning of freedom that restored mobility brings.

its the legs need the work - go delta.