Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weighing yourself

Quote Originally Posted by rolling01au View Post
    It was probably on hold or tare. Play around with it with a bag or something hanging from it to see exactly how it works. I have similar and they work great.
    We played around with it some more, including trying something like you suggested, but still got nowhere. I think I'm going to return it, and get an analog scale to hang from.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    if you have a Hoyer lift like forestranger52 suggested, you can try to attach the scale in between you and the lift. If you do use the block and tackle, just make sure it's properly attached to the ceiling or you'll end up on the ground with 10 lb. of steel falling on top of you. I personally would use a hoyer lift, which you can find cheap on CL, over the block and tackle. I have a hoist in my garage and am always nervous lifting anything over 50 lb.
    How do you attach the scale between the Hoyer and the sling?

You could fill a bath tub and mark the water level. Then get in the bath and briefly immerse yourself under the water while a friend marks the new water level. Get out, dry yourself off and calculate the volume of water you displaced. I would imagine water weight is roughly akin to body weight? As Archimedes would say, Eureka!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
    How do you attach the scale between the Hoyer and the sling?
    It would depend upon the type/brand/model of lift you have? On some, there is a very simple connector between the lifting apparatus and the spreader bar. Other are much more complex (and proprietary).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tippy View Post
    You could fill a bath tub and mark the water level. Then get in the bath and briefly immerse yourself under the water while a friend marks the new water level. Get out, dry yourself off and calculate the volume of water you displaced. I would imagine water weight is roughly akin to body weight? As Archimedes would say, Eureka!
    I hope you are kidding!!

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    You should be able to get a relatively inexpensive hanging scale to use with a block and tackle or other lift to hang from your garage ceiling. Put a strap under your knees and another under your arm pits, connect them to the hanging scale and lift yourself off the chair a bit. Subtract the weight of the straps if you need something that precise. My dad weighed me that way after my injury. We lived on a farm and he had the scale to weigh grain, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh...hanging+scales
    I know this thread is old but I had a few questions. I purchased the scale you linked. I have a Surehands ceiling lift that I use a sling with. I was able to put the scale between the ceiling mount and the lift. When I turn it on it's at 0. Do I hook the sling up to it and get into the air so I'm not touching anything. Do I have to get up in the air fast? How do you do it? Just trying to figure it out.

Weigh sling. I keep unit off until im ready to weigh and have sling hooked up then turn on, weigh and deduct sling lb. Mine is 2lb
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

That Lillypad wheelchair scale looks cool, but $600+? Ouch. https://lilypadscales.com/shop-product.php
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Weigh sling. I keep unit off until im ready to weigh and have sling hooked up then turn on, weigh and deduct sling lb. Mine is 2lb
    Thanks for the reply. Are you in the air when you turn the scale on? Or still in your bed or chair?

Does anyone use a hanging scale with a sure hands lift? You would only have to be lifted the bare minimum a few inches until you are clear and hanging on the scale, but the webbing from the sure hands lift uses a spreader bar and to use the hanging scale, one would have to hook all of the webbing loops onto one common hook. I think it would be okay since it is just for a brief moment and only for a very short distance vertically, after which time you can get lower down immediately.