Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weighing yourself

Recently I had the torsion springs replaced on my garage door.to determine the spring tension the door had to be weighed. They put two bathroom scales down , one near each end and lowered the door and recorded the weights and added them.

I thought about putting 2 scales down and make a plywood platform with cut outs for the weight displays. Assistance would be needed but it seems doable.

You would have to subtract the weight of the wood and your wheelchair of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyy View Post
    Recently I had the torsion springs replaced on my garage door.to determine the spring tension the door had to be weighed. They put two bathroom scales down , one near each end and lowered the door and recorded the weights and added them.

I thought about putting 2 scales down and make a plywood platform with cut outs for the weight displays. Assistance would be needed but it seems doable.

You would have to subtract the weight of the wood and your wheelchair of course.
    Theoretically, you really only need one bathroom scale, as long as it is low profile. You would drive one of your rear wheels (or whichever wheels carry the weight) onto the scale and balance the chair so it is just on two wheels. Record the weight, then do the same with the other wheel. The total should be pretty close to your total weight. Do the same with the empty chair to get its weight. If you had a piece of plywood the same height as the scale, then one wheel could be on the scale and the other on the wood, it would be slightly more accurate since the chair would be level. Of course, if this is just for weight loss comparisons, then you really only need to weigh one side and track changes over time.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Thanks to this thread received this the other day,works a beauty. Just hang from my hoist and put sling straps in S hook.
    Tried to upload photo but keep getting error 500, not sure what that's about.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electroni...item48584f80e3

We purchased a ready-made scale described by Tonyy. It has two Sunbeam scales, particle board platform on top, with removable ramp. Ramp stays in place with Velcro tab to platform. Ramp material is 1/4" plywood. Cutouts on platform for face of each scale. Takes second person to read the two scales. Weigh empty chair separately each time.
    We're careful when wheeling up ramp as front wheels just barely stop at front edge of platform. There is a metal trim piece there. To account for weight of platform, one makes sure the scales are both set to 0 before getting on.
    When done, we lay the ramp on top of the platform and slide the whole thing under a sofa.

go to a landscape supply place. they have scales that are at least 3'x3' and weight increments of single lbs

I bought the scale SCI for 55/now 60 suggested, but for some reason it didn't show a weight for me when I was dangling from it. My caregiver couldn't get it to work for some reason.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I bought the scale SCI for 55/now 60 suggested, but for some reason it didn't show a weight for me when I was dangling from it. My caregiver couldn't get it to work for some reason.
    It was probably on hold or tare. Play around with it with a bag or something hanging from it to see exactly how it works. I have similar and they work great.

My kidney doctor has a wheelchair scale i roll on to it get the weight transfer to a chair and then get the weight of just the chair and subtract. Most doctor's these days have wheelchair scales.
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

Hi, I am a caregiver and found a sit down chair scale with arms that lift up so transferring is easy. The scale is like a Doctors office with sliding weights for greater accuracy. It is on wheels so it is easy to store out of the way. Keep searching. I found mine used for $60.

Are there any warehouse/factory/production/shipping companies near you? I work at a production facility and just roll on one of the freight scales there once a month or so.