Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weighing yourself

Weighing yourself

Is there any way I can weigh myself without getting an expensive roll-on platform scale? I'm trying to find a way to weigh myself at home. I've got an idea of something I could rig up in the garage, but if there's a straightforward solution, I'd prefer to try that.

You should be able to get a relatively inexpensive hanging scale to use with a block and tackle or other lift to hang from your garage ceiling. Put a strap under your knees and another under your arm pits, connect them to the hanging scale and lift yourself off the chair a bit. Subtract the weight of the straps if you need something that precise. My dad weighed me that way after my injury. We lived on a farm and he had the scale to weigh grain, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh...hanging+scales
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I use the one sci55 linked works great
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

If you use a mechanical floor based lift, or a ceiling track lift, you can get these equipped with a built in scale, but they are expensive. I know some people put a regular bathroom scale on a hard wooden chair, then transfer onto this. You just need to be sure that your body is not touching the floor or chair legs/seat and all your weight is on the scale. Have someone else read the results, or use an electronic bathroom scale with a memory.

If you are trying to loose weight, no need to weigh more often than weekly. Daily weights may be needed if you have renal failure or heart failure; in which case you may be able to get your insurance to pay for a scale. Check out your local hospital or rehab center for a wheelchair scale they may let you use; and I know some who have found local businesses with floor scales that they have been able to use as well.

(KLD)

My wife is an RVT so I go over to the animal hospital now and again and transfer onto their scales. I bet any vet would let you do it

My physiatrist made arrangements for me to use the wheelchair scales at the local hospital rehab unit.

All the best,
    GJ

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    My patient lift has an eye at the end of the lift arm, looks like a O, and the crossbar that that holds the sling attaches to the eye. A scale with hooks on both ends can be placed between the lift arm eye and the crossbar, once they've been separated, to obtain weight. Need to weigh the crossbar and the sling first, then subtract that from the total.

The crossbar on most lifts have a way that it attaches to the lift arm. Sometimes all that may be needed is an extra bolt. There's a good chance a scale can fit between the two. Just need to be picked up enough to clear the chair.

I use the Moultrie 440 lb Game Scale. www.moultriefeeders.com/440-lb-game-scale $30

Amazon has the Game Gear 440 lb Digital Game Scale for $30 also. May need an extra hook. They also have the Hunters Specialties Gambrel for 10 bucks that some slings can hang on. A gambrel can usually hang from the scale and the bolt that attaches the crossbar or the scale and the eye at the end of the lift arm.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 12-07-2014 at 08:37 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    You should be able to get a relatively inexpensive hanging scale to use with a block and tackle or other lift to hang from your garage ceiling. Put a strap under your knees and another under your arm pits, connect them to the hanging scale and lift yourself off the chair a bit. Subtract the weight of the straps if you need something that precise. My dad weighed me that way after my injury. We lived on a farm and he had the scale to weigh grain, etc.

Ohh thanks for that idea - I think I will try to do something like that. I don't want to have to go outside my home just to weigh myself. I really don't care THAT much, but I am curious. I'm dieting and the only solid measure of success is that I'm able to tighten my belt a bit vs what I used to do.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    You should be able to get a relatively inexpensive hanging scale to use with a block and tackle or other lift to hang from your garage ceiling.

if you have a Hoyer lift like forestranger52 suggested, you can try to attach the scale in between you and the lift. If you do use the block and tackle, just make sure it's properly attached to the ceiling or you'll end up on the ground with 10 lb. of steel falling on top of you. I personally would use a hoyer lift, which you can find cheap on CL, over the block and tackle. I have a hoist in my garage and am always nervous lifting anything over 50 lb.

If have done it this way before. Get somebody strong to stand on the scales, record their weight then get them to lift you on their back and subtract their weight from the combined weight.