Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: losing weight while in a wheelchair

This is an old thread I know but thought I would post any how I am a C 4/5 quad and I am in trouble weight wise.. I am at least 20 pounds overweight and haven't had any success in losing them despite various attempts at dieting. I recently purchased some wrist weights for exercise now what I really wish I had was a daily diet menu I could follow to help me stick to a plan :-)
    I can't afford the ones advertised on TV so does anyone know a place on the web where I could print out a weekly menu as a guide. .?

Thanks for any advice, sincerely Chris
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Find out if your physician can write a prescription for you to see a registered clinical dietitian (RD). They can help assess your dietary needs, and help you design a customized meal plan that will meet your needs.

(KLD)

Cowboy's place - Chris - hey- I don't know if you have done this already, but if you take opiates chronically for pain, that can reduce Testosterone levels, which in turn, can cause weight gain. I would have a serum Testosterone, and while you are at it, a thyroid panel blood test performed. If both are low , replacing them can aid in weight loss, especially central gut obesity (quad belly). I can't imagine how hard it must be to burn calories as a quad - I whine about how hard it is to burn calories as a para. But you got to move whatever you have a lot- which in turn, can increase pain. Ugh . I am rooting for you to succeed !

A dietitian would be nice!
    Meanwhile, any chance you could avoid or drastically cut down: potatoes, rice, pasta, beans? Those are high carb foods (Sugar). To get started I stopped them for two weeks, about 6 months ago. Now I put small amount on my dinner plate, or none. And, unfortunately I love them all! But my transfers are much easier.
    I do get fast food about once a week but have a kinda strategy there. For example at McDonalds I get two hamburgers (the little ones) then throw out one set of buns and place the two meat patties into one bun. I try to get the salads with grilled chicken. Taco Bell is my favorite but my strategy falls apart.
    I have studied the Food Pyramid for ideas. Found it hard to stick to a made up weekly menu, but it may be a great idea for you.
    I try to plan ahead, such as the shopping list, snacks in the fridge ready to eat (cut up celery and low carb dip like cheese or peanut butter).

Thank you all for the info I have a Dr apt tomorrow so I printed this out and will ask for some help.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by peter384 View Post
    I like the idea of wheel chair basketball. I wonder if there are any leagues near me.

It looks pretty intense!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSVBDeqVs4
    http://www.nwba.org/

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    Thank you all for the info I have a Dr apt tomorrow so I printed this out and will ask for some help.
    arns hit the nail on the head. testosterone if your low you wont lose. I wanted to come into this hc season a bit lighter to see how it effects my speed. I've dropped 20 since January. im strict mon-thurs then eat whatever I want fr-sun. I keep a food log of all my macros. and of course increased my exercise. you can do it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

non-meat diet

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    A vegetarian diet has done wonders for me. Not only have I been able to keep my weight under control but it has also helped a great deal with digestion and bowel functions. Good luck with the doc and a dietician but also keep in mind, lighter foods often result in lighter people.

Remember its not a Diet its a lifestyle change. If you diet it will constantly be a yoyo of up and down . Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
    Remember its not a Diet its a lifestyle change. If you diet it will constantly be a yoyo of up and down . Good Luck.
    So true!