Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: losing weight while in a wheelchair

Thanks for the help everyone. I found recently that wheelchair boxing has helped me get a pretty good workout. I do this at a local gym with a personal trainer.
    Now, I have had trouble with weight loss from nutrition. It seems that no matter how little carbs I eat, I still don't see any pounds lost. I am losing inches, since my clothes are getting looser and I have had to tighten my ostomy belt even more, but the number never seems to move on the scale. Any advice?

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't worry about the pounds if you are still losing. I love the fact that if I splurge on a weekend I can just go back to eating healthy with few carbs for just a few days and I lose those pounds.

not to hijack thread but whoooo lost 2in chest 3 inches wasit 6 in hips my ankles and calves look like they did before I was hurt

now if I could just get thighs thiner

Quote Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. I found recently that wheelchair boxing has helped me get a pretty good workout. I do this at a local gym with a personal trainer.
    Now, I have had trouble with weight loss from nutrition. It seems that no matter how little carbs I eat, I still don't see any pounds lost. I am losing inches, since my clothes are getting looser and I have had to tighten my ostomy belt even more, but the number never seems to move on the scale. Any advice?
    If you are building muscles on your Upper body ie; arms, this could be effecting your weight. If you are losing inches that is the best measurement

Quote Originally Posted by JaneB View Post
    If you are building muscles on your Upper body ie; arms, this could be effecting your weight. If you are losing inches that is the best measurement
    totally agree muscle weights more than blubber looks better toooo

JaneB . . . can you give me some more info on wheelchair boxing. Any specific training exercises and advice would be great. I'm a t-12 in decent shape and always looking for new ways to stay fit.

Great insights SCI nurse. It seems like cardio and calorie counting is the best option for now. Lat pull downs are also awesome for a bit of strength training.