Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: losing weight while in a wheelchair

losing weight while in a wheelchair

Does anyone know of any exercises that I can do while in a manual wheelchair? I am trying to lose weight, but I am having lost of trouble getting the pounds to shed off in my hips and thighs, because of sitting in a wheelchair.

Any good cardiovascular exercise will burn calories. Pushing miles in your chair, hand cycling, use of an arm ergometer, swimming, wheelchair basketball or rugby, tennis, etc. are all examples of this type of exercise. You have to burn off more calories with exercise than you take in in your diet to loose weight. In general, even without adding exercise, if you eat 500 calories less daily than you have been, you should expect to loose roughly 2 lb. weekly. The more you exercise, the more you will loose.

(KLD)

To help with my transfers I started a two week low carbohydrate diet. I stopped or drastically cut down on bread, pasta, rice and potatoes for two weeks, then got weighed and lost 3 pounds - great for me as I had weighed 116. It definitely helped my transfers to not have to carry those 3 pounds and I now am cutting down on carbs, not eliminating them entirely. I snack on celery dipped in peanut butter, etc. I used to do strenuous exercise and unable to do so now due to shoulder weakness/pain. Amazing how a few pounds can creep upwards and make transfers more difficult.
    I don't know if this would help you, in addition to your physical exercise.

Triumph, you might want to select almond butter for your celery snacks. Much lower in carbs than peanut butter. I also keep dry roasted, unsalted almonds at my desk at work to nibble on when hungry. Just don't over do. Be sure you are getting enough protein too. Smoothies made with Greek yogurt and a little fresh fruit are great for breakfast, and I also like low-fat cottage cheese with a little fresh fruit (blueberries are relatively low in carbs).

(KLD)

Sounds good, SCI nurse!
    Recently tried spagetti squash with a low carb. sauce. The jury is still out on that one. Also, plan to get one of those little vegetable spiralizer devices (amazon) to keep things fun in the kitchen.

Blog Entries
    Low carb diet like South beach only thing thatworks for me. I ride handcycle 3 to 4 times a week but it is staying away from processed carbs that keeps my weight down. I weigh 15 pounds less now than I did before my accident and I was running 4.5 miles per day then but eating lots of carbs.

When I really jones for some spaghetti, I have a little of the Dreamfield's low carb pasta. It is good, and about 1/2 the carbs of regular pasta.

(KLD)

It's important to not neglect or forget about strength training while trying to lose weight. Putting on muscle mass, even if not in the area you're looking to trim down, will raise your body's metabolism and help burn calories more efficiently. Grab some dumbbells, or wrist weights if grip is impaired, and start lifting (performing 3 sets of 15-20 repetitions is sufficient for increasing muscle mass)!

ALSO, when doing an increased amount of cardio such as hand cycling or pushing your chair for long distances, watch out for overuse injuries that may effect your shoulders especially. Performing shoulder "prehab" exercises to help strengthen your rotator cuff and promote proper posture are VERY important to include into your weekly routine. Here's the link to one exercise I recommend trying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9vOP-ypLiQ

Do more >>>> Eat less + do what you can with what you got = about what we have in a nutshell

shheees I wish it would see more results 1 hr day on handbike say 620 calories burned I eat around 1000 dayly but I don/t see much my caretaker say she see it in butt but ...