Thread: Help me decide!

Help me decide!

Hi, there is this guy wants to sell a wheelchair van for $3100. It is a 1998 Dodge ram, with a V6 engine. As you can imagine it has over 200,000 miles on it. Kelly blue book is pricing the van itself around $1300. My question is, the value of the van conversion and lift in the van worth $1,800? He said that the lift was just serviced for $300.00 and also did minor things like tuneup. It looks like clean van, body is in great condition inside looks clean, the lift is in the back of the van.One more thing he mentioned, is his mechanic couldn't get two of the 6 spark plugs out. He said he thinks that why the engine light is on. What do you think?
    Save The Whales

The vehicle has too many miles on it to purchase with an engine warning light on at that price. The engine light can be any number of things some of them very costly. If the mechanic can't swap the two plugs, do you think it will be cheap to get someone else to do it? He should have had the equipment to tell the seller *what* was wrong, and fix it. Unless it was too expensive to do so. Which often is the case. The mechanic will say, "you know, it's time to unload this".

What you could do is take it to your mechanic who should have the proper tools to read out the code. Pepboys might be okay since they actually do service, but auto parts places might not be so good.
    Last edited by nonoise; 12-05-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Sent you a PM
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Lift has as many miles on it too, right?

And mechanic couldn't get spark plugs out?

Get as far away from it as you can.

Blog Entries
    Dodge engines have a history of the plugs getting frozen, and the two that will not come out are probably the ones that mechanics hate to change - they are really difficult to get to. I'd offer him $900, he will get less from a dealer, and you'll have $2100 to fix it with.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Haha! RIGHT! It will probable need a new engine soon, thanks guys.
    Save The Whales

money pit, wouldn't touch it with a barge poll