Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peristeen Anal Irrigation System

Get hold of Peristeen. They will be able to tell you if they are VA approved and the contract numbers to tell your primary to order.
    If Chasmengr is still on here he is pretty sharp with that stuff.

They are now on VA contract, but are pretty slow in rolling out to VA facilities, including SCI Centers. There is still a requirement (from the FDA) that they only be prescribed by providers who, and training provided by nurses who, have completed the Coloplast training program on the Peristeen. So not just any VA provider can order them for you...

(KLD)

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Does anyone know where I can purchase Peristeen supplies? I bought the system from a company in Australia a few years ago, the bag needs replaced and I must buy new catheters.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can purchase Peristeen supplies? I bought the system from a company in Australia a few years ago, the bag needs replaced and I must buy new catheters.
    This site seems to ship to the US https://www.owlmedical.com/collectio...nt=29425607299

Looks like ebay has them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/182361676877?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Last edited by t8burst; 12-12-2016 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks a lot. Have a happy holiday!
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

how does the peristeen compare to the PIE system ? has anything new come along
    cauda equina

Peristeen is more like a traditional enema. It does not require a big machine to administer, nor is the water "pulsed", and you must use it on a toilet so that the stool and water evacuates into the toilet. The PIEE evacuates through the catheter into a bag you have to empty, and has to be administered in bed, and by an attendant. The Peristeen can be self administered for those with sufficient hand function. Disposable parts for the PIEE run $40 or so per use, while Peristeen is less expensive, and many people reused the speculum (which is supposed to be disposable) very successfully.

(KLD)

I contacted the Spinal Cord Clinic at VAMC Pittsburgh, which is located at the H.J. Heinz Campus in Aspinwall PA. I requested the director Dr. Murty, to see if she could possibly write a prescription for the Peristeen System. For 10 years my experienced caregivers trained the new workers how to do the digital stimulation method and it worked almost perfectly, until the state changed the regulations which in August of 2014, required that dig-stim be performed by skilled nursing only.

Although I gave all of the 14 different nurses who were assigned to help me The PVA Bowel Management Booklet to read and showed them the VA produced/copy protected Accidents Stink VHS Video, not a single one was able to open the internal anal sphincter. This has resulted in 3 years of incomplete bowel movements, which has me in a constant state of maximum inflation that can only be resolved by drinking a couple of bottles of Magnesium Citrate about every 6 weeks or so. And probably left me with a Megacolon. I've also lost 40 pounds, since I can only eat once a day because I don't want even more BM left behind the internal sphincter, which quickly hardens into golf size balls. Even with taking stool softeners, lactulose every day and milk of magnesia 3 times per week.

Dr. Murty in turn, contacted the Regional Spinal Cord Clinic at the Cleveland VA Medical Center, who told her they have no clue what a Peristeen system even was. No surprise here.
    So I recommended that she possibly contact our esteemed, Hall of Famer Ms. Kathleen Dunn at the San Diego VA but of course Dr. Murty said, ''oh I couldn't do that.''

So I'm again left with a failed bowel program and potentially a megacolin, when I've been begging the VA for help for over 3 years. I should at the least, be permitted to have my nurses trained to use the Peristeen. You would think they'd be at least a little concerned, when I explain that almost every evening when I am put in bed, I'm dysreflexic for about one half hour when I attempt to lower my head and the same problem in the morning, for a shorter period. No luck there either.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-06-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    I contacted the Spinal Cord Clinic at VAMC Pittsburgh, which is located at the H.J. Heinz Campus in Aspinwall PA. I requested the director Dr. Murty, to see if she could possibly write a prescription for the Peristeen System. For 10 years my experienced caregivers trained the new workers how to do the digital stimulation method and it worked almost perfectly, until the state changed the regulations which in August of 2014, required that dig-stim be performed by skilled nursing only.

Although I gave all of the 14 different nurses who were assigned to help me The PVA Bowel Management Booklet to read and showed them the VA produced/copy protected Accidents Stink VHS Video, not a single one was able to open the internal anal sphincter. This has resulted in 3 years of incomplete bowel movements, which has me in a constant state of maximum inflation that can only be resolved by drinking a couple of bottles of Magnesium Citrate about every 6 weeks or so. And probably left me with a Megacolon. I've also lost 40 pounds, since I can only eat once a day because I don't want even more BM left behind the internal sphincter, which quickly hardens into golf size balls. Even with taking stool softeners, lactulose every day and milk of magnesia 3 times per week.

Dr. Murty in turn, contacted the Regional Spinal Cord Clinic at the Cleveland VA Medical Center, who told her they have no clue what a Peristeen system even was. No surprise here.
    So I recommended that she possibly contact our esteemed, Hall of Famer Ms. Kathleen Dunn at the San Diego VA but of course Dr. Murty said, ''oh I couldn't do that.''

So I'm again left with a failed bowel program and potentially a megacolin, when I've been begging the VA for help for over 3 years. I should at the least, be permitted to have my nurses trained to use the Peristeen. You would think they'd be at least a little concerned, when I explain that almost every evening when I am put in bed, I'm dysreflexic for about one half hour when I attempt to lower my head and the same problem in the morning, for a shorter period. No luck there either.
    It is hardly any easier to get the Peristeen system when you are using traditional insurance. The Peristeen system is a product made and distributed by Coloplast. Before Coloplast will release a unit to a patient, you have to be trained by a Colorplast certified nurse. There are few of these trained individuals around. What's more, Coloplast is not very responsive to patients who are inquiring about the system.

You might try directing your doctor to these sites and/or printing out some articles to give to him/her. Have your doctor contact Coloplast :

Article in New Mobility Magazine: http://www.newmobility.com/2014/04/p...el-management/

Article from National Library of Medicine: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3896552/

Coloplast website information: https://www.coloplast.us/peristeen-a...tem-en-us.aspx

Video about trans anal irrigation: https://vimeo.com/105538505

If you have the funds you could purchase it yourself: https://www.owlmedical.com/products/...rigation-29121, https://www.owlmedical.com/products/...rigation-29122. Around $500 should last you around a year.