Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peristeen Anal Irrigation System

Or you could try this:
    Flowmaster. http://www.optimalhealthnetwork.com/...master-3qt.htm

It is working very well for me.

Attached Images Attached Images  

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I did purchase the Peristeen Sytem but the nurse whom the VA pays to do my bowel program, will not use it untl she receives the training. We did try to use it before I was forced to move but the catheter balloon kept breaking on my caregiver. Glad they designed a new one that hopefully performes much better, if I ever get the chance to use them.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    I did purchase the Peristeen Sytem but the nurse whom the VA pays to do my bowel program, will not use it untl she receives the training. We did try to use it before I was forced to move but the catheter balloon kept breaking on my caregiver. Glad they designed a new one that hopefully performes much better, if I ever get the chance to use them.
    What is the new Peristeen catheter design?

There are a few online tutorials about the Peristeen system and the Peristeen system is not really very complicated. Here are some on line video references. They may be repetitive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6sWaD6d2Sk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M89WHE3TAZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVsMgER-HU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPM7Zqc8k08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiqSHa9AuG8

We have once again contacted the regional spinal cord center at the Cleveland VA and they still say that they know nothing about the Peristeen System. And it's been over 2 years that it's been on the VA Contract. Just how many regional SC centers does the VA actually have, 8 or possibly 10? It should not have required this long to make this available to all our Vets.

I also had an appointment with a highly respected Physiatrist regarding my failed bowel program and he also never heard about Peristeen. We are so far behind every other developed country who have almost universally adopted this system, that it's ridiculous.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

We were working with the company about getting Peristeen available to our SCI Veterans in San Diego (one of 24 VA SCI Centers) when I retired in early 2017. Not sure if they have it now. The company's requirement (from the FDA) to have certified nurse trainers at any facility prescribing this was an issue, as the VA would not support the training costs, and the company would not provide it for free without having a bunch of SCI Veterans available as inpatients during the training period. Sort of a Catch 22.

We were actually referring SCI Veterans to a local private sector clinic which did have such trained staff, using the "Veterans' Choice" program. You might want to look into that. It only requires that a VA provider validate that a procedure (the assessment and training) was not available within the VA facility. Once the Veteran received this at the private sector clinic, and they sent a recommendation back to the VA provider, we were able to order the supplies needed for that Veteran.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

many years ago one of the guys on here showed me how he had made a home made PIE type device. HE was a engineer and didn't leave anything to chance. I ended up getting a pie machine via my insurance , but I almost killed myself trying to do it to myself. THe home made PIE could work just as well, The builder of the homemade kit even did things the regular pie neglected, such as keep the salinity of the water the same as the bodies to prevent the osmosic of water via the intestines through the potassium levels of the body off. think it was .6% or something. I was able to do the PIE with no training too. Persiteen is simple looking, I do think it would work so much better if the person could lie on their left side though.
    cauda equina

The requirement to "have certified nurse trainers" for Peristeen is one of the dumbest things that we have to deal with. Successfully using Peristeen requires a one page instruction manual, not a one-on-one visit with a healthcare professional to watch us poop.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    The requirement to "have certified nurse trainers" for Peristeen is one of the dumbest things that we have to deal with. Successfully using Peristeen requires a one page instruction manual, not a one-on-one visit with a healthcare professional to watch us poop.
    This was not set up by the company. It was a condition of FDA approval for sales & prescriptions in the USA.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This was not set up by the company. It was a condition of FDA approval for sales & prescriptions in the USA.

(KLD)
    Yeah, I'm aware of that. Doesn't make the requirement any less onerous. I didn't intend to imply that it was Coloplast. The people at ColoPlast that I've talked too thinks it's a crazy requirement also, but can't really do anything about it.

Thanks for the information KLD, I really appreciate your help. The VA actually pays for a skilled nursing company (PA Reg., caregivers previously) to do my bowel program and the LPN they send refuses to use the Peristeen system until she's trained. I purchased the system years ago and recently a bag with a supply of the new catheters. The physiatrist I saw is the top doc at the clinic which deals with spinal cord injuries at The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC). They have 6 or 7 hospitals in and close to Pittsburgh and the Doc told me he'd check into the PS months ago but when I called about it last week, there were still no answers.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt