Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick release stuck

quick release stuck

I have a tilite aero t titanium with aluminum quick release axles. One of my axles locked in and wont release. The wheel spins freely. The axle just wont come out. Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas on what might get it to release? I have to take my chair apart to get it in my car tomorrow to get to work so if anyone has ideas I am willing to try anything.

Can you get a wrench on the camber plug? If so, remove it so you can access both ends of the axle to see what's going on.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Minnesota, I'd expect rust. Flood with WD40, wait, remove opposite wheel, push button, and tap on axle with long metal rod from opposite end.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The small ball on the end of the axle can be "glued" in place by sand, mud or old grease. as Nonoise said, WD40 is the best solution, but you can also flood the end of the axle by removing the opposite wheel.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

I have had this happen. I think it is mostly due to the lock-ball being stuck somewhere. See if you can push the wheel in. It won't be noticeable how far the push goes, but it may loosen the lock ball. It also sounds like you have too LITTLE play setup on the axle.

No advice here, can't remember back when this happened to me. However, it was at a time when I had not removed my wheels (using quick release) in quite a while, as it wasn't necessary when driving in a van with lift. Afterwards, periodically remove wheels and apply a bit of lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Minnesota, I'd expect rust. Flood with WD40, wait, remove opposite wheel, push button, and tap on axle with long metal rod from opposite end.
    that would make sense on an old chair but I got this chair the last week in september of this year

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher View Post
    that would make sense on an old chair but I got this chair the last week in september of this year
    Okay, no rust, but it is still stuck, the balls are jammed in and you will have to push the relief button as usual. Then as I said hammer it out using a long rod from the other end through the axle tube, *but* the relief button has to be pushed at the same time as you hammer. I've purchased several old Quickie folders that were stuck due to being gummed up with dried grease. At first I didn't even know they had removable wheels. But with enough coaxing from the backside, they came off. WD40 helped cut through old grease. If your chair is almost new, it's probably not gummed up, but I'd use it anyway.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I was always told that Titanium and other metals don't play nice with each other. If using Titanium fasteners with aluminum or any other metals that one needs to put some type of anti-seize on them.

I wonder if you can pour a bunch of WD-40 or PB-blaster down the axle from the opposite side

is it still stuck? And I would guess it's hair.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8