Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PedalGo/QuicStick portable hand controls?

PedalGo/QuicStick portable hand controls?

Anyone used these before? They are $170 on Amazon with 4.5 stars (5 reviews). Looking for some reasonably priced portable hand controls and hadn't heard of these:

http://www.amazon.com/PedalGO-Portab.../dp/B00JDA1NXQ

Did you see this comment to answered questions on the Amazon site?
    " It is however not good to drive for a long period of time as you get tired in your thumb, that you use to push the gas throttle"
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Absolutely! Functioning cruise control is derigeur for long trips.
    You won't know how hard it is to push the accelerator pedal until you do it with your thumb for a half hour!
    My shop (www.philscars.com) has a used car license and i bought similar controls back when I got injured in 95 so I could road test customers cars and used cars.
    We bought 3 cars from a Volvo dealer and I undertook driving a beautiful 745T home using those controls. Cruise inop! An hour and a half later, my thumb was falling off.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 11-29-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Do all hand controls that use the thumb for acceleration have the same affect? It seems most are made that way. And why would I not be able to use my cruise control?

if your cruise works, then no problem; use it wherever/whenever you are maintaining a constant speed. Also you can use "resume" to accelerate back to your fixed speed.

Oh ok, I misunderstood what was originally said. Do all thumb acceleration hand controls fatigue your thumb/hand pretty bad? Is city any better or worse than highway driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Oh ok, I misunderstood what was originally said. Do all thumb acceleration hand controls fatigue your thumb/hand pretty bad? Is city any better or worse than highway driving?
    with varying speeds of city driving, and on and off throttle, thumb is feeling better, but on highway you're holding the pedal down in a pretty static position constantly and it's exhausting!
    With a cruise control, you can also use it as a throttle a lot of the time in city driving, using cancel and resume functions.

Blog Entries
    I've always made my own hand controls, as is everything else, too damn expensive. The only costly part are the ball joints to attach to the foot pedals. Get them at a lawnmower shop(riding) as they are used for steering. Get your steel and all thread at homey deSp0t. For the tundra, they are appx 3ft long(completed, with ample adjustment both ways) threaded to rest on the seat. The ball joints are 3/8ths fine thread as your threaded rod needs to be to screw into it.
    ANYway, those pos 'thumb' operated hcs are basically the same except I put a 'handle' atop the extension tubes, drill one hole in the ends of both, drill the same in the handle and bolt the ext tubes to the handle. <~to change those you own~~~~<<<< Pull back for gas, push for brake, simple. I use cruise control like a mofo. Length adjustable, simple and cheap. I weld the nuts to the tubes and thread the all thread thru it into the tube for adjustment and it stabilizes the brake side for slamming on your brakes when someone deserves to be rear-ended for stupidity. I made a set with square tubing for my car that is not adjustable. I will show you the handle end so you guys can CHANGE the thumb controls.... by adding a handle and bolts then they will not be tiresome. Never saw the need to strap them to the steering wheel. I lay mine on the seat, out of the way. I prop with both arms to hold me up, so floating an arm at the wheel is a no-go for me. Besides it being in the way. I posted pics over the years, if someone wants, search. Unlike many here, my chair and handcontrols are TOOLS, I do not care about PRETTY. I can hang from a cliff or beat you about the head and shoulders with'em and they will still work.
    8bucks for 3ft all thread 3/8 x 16NF , 8 bucks for 3ft round tube 3/8 inch, 8 bucks for 3ft square tube(handle Note the one in pictures is a stainlees 1inch tube that I welded two flats to bolt the ext to and put one of my old motorcycle grips on.@one time I thought to make it twist throttle as in a bike but the are so easy I didn't. I bought 4 ball joints(only need two at pedal end to allow you to move handle anywhere you want) for 30 bucks, fasteners just a couple bucks. Now I was in a hurry and it was dark and I rushed to get'r done. One day I might make minor adjustments and paint them, change way it's attached to brake pedal but for now they work like a charm. Cost UNDER $50.00 and i have driven since 2004 in quite a few different cars/trucks and always work superb.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 11-30-2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: F0rkin with the intelligence community...

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    ...clip... Pull back for gas, push for brake, simple...clip....
    Keep talking Capn. How did you convert gas from push to pull. That is key to this fatigue question.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Blog Entries

hand controls

pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 11-30-2014 at 07:48 PM.