Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mechanical Engineering Project Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    Regarding "... a mobile floor-based mechanical lift suitable for travel that will work with regular bathtubs and platform beds ..."

Would this device be used to lift a wheelchair a few inches, or to lift a person out-of and into a wheelchair?
    The latter.

KLD

Can you give a better idea of what YOU are interested in? Mechanical, electrical, computer controlled? What interests you? I have all sorts of ideas, from simple to complex.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm so bogged down with schoolwork that I don't have time to think about the project.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Quote Originally Posted by zagam View Post
    Never ridden a track racer, but something for everyday real world use would save me pulling on one side and pushing many times harder on the other. I am about to do Linux.conf.au in Auckland, Middle Earth (where the Aucks are). Will find out how good their civils are soon.
    The bike path has cross fall and had to zig zag all the way up and it was humid. Was told it was suitable and said it was not as no crown cross fall across entire width. Engineered concrete in building was good.

Just reviving this in case someone else is interested, or perhaps you are going for a graduate degree. (btw- I got my degree MANY years ago in Mechanical Engineering) So, I am thinking, a lot of people could use a floor to chair lift. This, of course is for when you happen to fall out of your chair. It also would be useful for other disabled people (elderly) that would have a difficult time getting off the floor. But, what always would make this impractical is that the lift is probably not where you are when you need it. So, I am thinking, what if the lift were a robot of sorts? What if, like the Roomba, it could autonomously navigate around the house? And what if there was an easy way to develop a homing signal so it knows where to go?
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    Just reviving this in case someone else is interested, or perhaps you are going for a graduate degree. (btw- I got my degree MANY years ago in Mechanical Engineering) So, I am thinking, a lot of people could use a floor to chair lift. This, of course is for when you happen to fall out of your chair. It also would be useful for other disabled people (elderly) that would have a difficult time getting off the floor. But, what always would make this impractical is that the lift is probably not where you are when you need it. So, I am thinking, what if the lift were a robot of sorts? What if, like the Roomba, it could autonomously navigate around the house? And what if there was an easy way to develop a homing signal so it knows where to go?
    Totally cool idea!!
    I would also be interested in a device to raise one's (manual)wheelchair seat up about 3 inches for reaching stuff in the kitchen and while shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Possibly simple solution? Lock just one caster at straight ahead, and as chair wanders, a little wheelie action to rest course. I agree! Cambered sidewalks (and most in cities are) suck! Nothing beats pushing eight blocks with one arm!

Another nice feature: an adjustable brake so just a slight drag could be dialed in; enough drag to keep from rolling, but free enough to change position easily (my barn-house and workshop floors aren't close to plumb! In many locations brakes are required just to stay put; doing tasks? Forget it!)
    The adjustable brake you mention is long overdue! My older home has gentle slopes that walkees never notice, but I'm constantly having to apply a brake to one side of my chair or the other just to do the simplest things.