Thread: A Quick Suggestion for Ti-Lite Regarding Side Guards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A Quick Suggestion for Ti-Lite Regarding Side Guards

I'm posting this because I once read that someone who works for Ti-Lite post here. While I will probably send an email to the company, maybe he or she could pass word along to their higher-ups? Also, I thought it would be good for other potential buyers to know this is something they very well may encounter. Just to clarify, I'm not writing this out of anger, but I do think this is a practice that should be corrected immediately.

I recently purchased a new Ti-Lite Aero Z. When the chair was delivered, I met with the physical therapist and DME to fine-tune everything, and we ran into a pretty big problem that could have very well made the chair unusable for me (and others who will inevitably run into the same issue).

Among other adjustments, my rear wheels needed to be moved forward, which is pretty standard. Of course, when you move the rear wheels, you also have to move the breaks, and the side guards. The problem stems from the latter.

When the DME removed the "clasp" (I apologize if that is not the correct term) that holds the side guards in place, we discovered a tiny hole drilled into the frame. It turns out Ti-Lite has started using a different clasp; in addition to being adjusted with an allen wrench, it also contains a bolt that goes inside the frame to help hold it in place.

I understand the intention -- you don't want the side guard becoming loose and turning on the frame, rubbing against the wheel. The problem with this system, however, is it severely limits the adjustability of the chair. You can only place the side guards where the hole has been drilled, I.E., you cannot move them. If you can't move the side guards, you can't move the wheels; and that is hugely problematic.

We were able to work around this by using the on-site fabrication shop to cut off the additional bolt and fasten the side guards by using only the standard bolts, and luckily the hole in the frame was covered by the hardware of the wheel once it was moved forward. The only other option would have been to drill a second hole, which would have voided the warranty and taken additional time, effort, and frustration.

TL;DR: Ti-Lite, please revert to using the "regular" side guard clasps. Using a bolt that is inserted into the frame via a drilled hole severely limits the ways in which you can adjust your chair to make it fit you as best as possible. Unless that was your intention, which I sincerely doubt; but, if so, I'll refrain from speaking my mind because there could be children around.

Sidenote: To everyone else reading this, I know you enjoy seeing pictures of people's new chairs, and I fully intend on updating the thread I made a while back when I have a little more time to do it properly. In the meantime, I thank all of you very much for your help. You were all lifesavers, both figuratively quasi-literally.

I understand your problem here...but I for one am happy that they have the hole drilled through the frame for the side guards. The normal way of clamping the side guards does not keep the side guards from moving over time (aka...Quickie side guards) and therefore, they are really not doing what they should be doing. Instead, because the side guards are rubbing on the tires, etc, they become ruined. This design feature keeps that very thing from happening.

Maybe there is a compromise between the 2 solutions. I don't know...but I do know that since that bolt was added, by side guards have stayed where they are supposed to be (and no...I am not too wide for my chair).
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    I understand your problem here...but I for one am happy that they have the hole drilled through the frame for the side guards. The normal way of clamping the side guards does not keep the side guards from moving over time (aka...Quickie side guards) and therefore, they are really not doing what they should be doing. Instead, because the side guards are rubbing on the tires, etc, they become ruined. This design feature keeps that very thing from happening.

Maybe there is a compromise between the 2 solutions. I don't know...but I do know that since that bolt was added, by side guards have stayed where they are supposed to be (and no...I am not too wide for my chair).
    I had a Quickie for 8 years and never had to tighten the side guard claps and they never moved. I guess I got lucky.

I hated that chair, but I will say that it lasted a long, long time.

My AeroZ1 has the same pin/hole for its side-guard mounts. It hasn't been an issue for me.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Could this have been an issue due to my height (I'm a little over 6'4'') that most people wouldn't have to worry about? Because, the two people working with me were legitimately stumped on what to do without taking the chair back to the shop.

Maybe they just didn't know what they were doing. That would be good for everyone else, so let's hope so.

If this is a well-known thing or a non-issue, a moderator can delete this thread.

Hasn't been an issue for me either! Were you measured right for the chair to begin with? It sounds like there may have been measurement mistakes
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009