Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon - any para own one??

Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon - any para own one??

Still looking to replace my current vehicle (a SUV) and have been looking at the Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon. Anyone have any experience with them as a para? I would be putting my chair behind the seats. I was favoring a Ford Ranger, but it has a lot less space behind the seats than the GM pickups. A Honda Element is still in the running, but I would prefer something that does better in heavy snow, hence the pickups.

Thanks
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I had a 2005 Chevy Colorado. It was the Z-71 4x4 and it had the full extended cab with four doors. It was not hard to get my chair in and out of. I folded down the back seat and put the chair on top of the back seat. It worked really well for me and sometimes I wish I still had it. The only reason that I got rid of it was because with the full extended cab, the truck bed was too short. I couldn't get my handcycles back there without removing the wheels which I thought was kind of a pain. I also looked at the ford rangers before I got the Colorado and they didn't have enough space to put the wheelchair behind the seat.

I now have a Chevy Traverse which gives me enough room in the back to throw my handcycles in without taking them apart but I think it's a little harder getting my wheelchair in and out of than the Colorado was, and I miss the 4 wheel drive and ground clearance that I had with the Colorado. If the Colorado had a longer truck bed, I would have never got rid of it.
    Last edited by Lee1; 11-29-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: remove random question marks

Lee,

Thanks for the reply. I assume that you were using a rigid chair. Is that correct. I was/am thinking of getting the extended cab model and pulling a folding chair behind the seat.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I've been driving Colorado's since they came out in 2004 and have had great luck with them. I currently have a 2009 with the extended cab and full size bed and the 5.3 8 cylinder motor (2wd). Great truck. The new ones that just came out this past fall probably would not be a very good vehicle for someone in a wheelchair unless they had a lift for the person and the chair as they are so high. Mine is the low rider and very easy transfer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I like the look of pickups too, but my next vehicle will be a full size van. I think they are much more accessible. You can haul your gear and camp in the back. You can get everywhere inside, so storage is so much more useable. Great options in both 2WD and 4WD.

I had a GMC Canyon, crew cab four door. It's an easy transfer in/out and enough room to put you chair in the backseat. I drove it for several years but wanted more truck bed. I bought a 2013 Frontier last year and put a shell on the back like Curt. It's a tad higher transfer to get up but the passenger side seat folds forward and in half, which makes a ton of room for a chair behind on the passenger side. It's crew cab as well but with a 6 ft bed. The shells on the back are great because you can put cycles in the back and lock everything up if you travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-MN View Post
    Lee,

Thanks for the reply. I assume that you were using a rigid chair. Is that correct. I was/am thinking of getting the extended cab model and pulling a folding chair behind the seat.
    Yes, I use a rigid chair that I lifted over myself to the back seat... Oh and like Tman9513, I had the crew cab with the full 4 doors not the extended cab like Curts. That's why my bed was shorter. I also had a shell on the back.

With my truck I simply use a lightweight folding chair and I fold the chair and open the rear door and pull the chair in behind the drivers seat. The name of the lowered suspension package is called the ZQ8 suspension, they stopped making these trucks with the low rider suspension 2012 and you had to get the V8 2wd to get the lowered suspension. I had a 2007 Colorado Extreme with the ZQ8 suspension and that had the 5 cylinder motor which I never had any trouble with and I had a 2004 with the ZQ8 that was a base LS model with the I5 motor and got it new for only 15 grand. Those trucks were a great deal. Beware on the older ones they had problems with valves in the head and throwing check engine codes, never had that issue with my 2004 but then again I traded it in for the 2007 @ around 40K miles. I think they corrected that issue starting 2007.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

What handcontrols were you guys using and how was it mounted. I want to buy a used set of Monarchs and need to know what bracket to get.

Thanks for all the responses.

I have Suregrips in mine.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred