Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New SCI for Young Marine

thanks

Great advice. Thanks.

I am going to go out to Jamba Juice and get a protein shake for my son later today. They put him back in the temporary brace since it was more comfortable, but we would like him to get the courage up to get back in the custom brace. Since it is Thanksgiving, I don't think I can get adjustments today.

On that note, Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No spinal orthosis (brace) is designed for comfort. Hopefully they can make some minor adjustments for comfort, but the point of the brace is to hold the spinal bones and hardware in alignment for proper healing while allowing rehabilitation to proceed. Most people wear these for 3 months, and it must be on when the head of the bed is raised or the person is out of bed. Most people go home from rehab still wearing their brace, and this may limit self care activities such as self bowel care (but we often can work around this with adaptive equipment). It is better than the old days when people were on total bed rest for 4-5 months while their backs healed!!

He can achieve optimal vertebral (bone) healing by 1) eating well (high protein), 2) wearing his brace at all times, 3) avoiding NSAID medications for pain (interfere with bone healing) and 4) not using any tobacco products.

(KLD)

Update: My son is still at Naval Medical Center San Diego. He has been eating solid food and has not had a fever for a few days now. We visited the Spinal Cord Rehab Center at the La Jolla VA and everyone was very nice and helpful. However, my son woudl like to go back to be closer to home in New Jersey. We are working to make this happen. I am anxious to get him out of the hospital and into rehab as soon as possible

Not sure if they would allow transfer to a civilian rehab but if they allow kessler is very good in nj if not i would think that the walter reed in dc would maybe be the closest va center but i could be wrong do the research. Definaltly get him to a rehab asap for a better outcome.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Blog Entries
    I'd consider staying at La Jolla for his rehab. The weather will be nice there for the next 4 months while it will suck in NJ. I know that my rehab got better at the West Roxbury SCI center in Boston once the weather got better.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 24 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    Not sure if they would allow transfer to a civilian rehab but if they allow kessler is very good in nj if not i would think that the walter reed in dc would maybe be the closest va center but i could be wrong do the research. Definaltly get him to a rehab asap for a better outcome.
    Walter Reed is a Department of Defense (Army) hospital which is actually now merged with Bethesda (Navy) Hospital. Neither is a VA hospital. The DoD and the VA are separate departments of the federal government. There are no DoD SCI units. There is a MOU (memorandum of agreement) between the VA and the DoD for active duty service members (ADSM) to be referred to and receive their SCI acute and rehab care in VA SCI centers. The closest that offers this to NJ is at the Bronx VA. While the East Orange VA (NJ) also has a SCI unit, currently they do not offer acute rehabilitation as part of their program.

(KLD)

Kld which is why i said research would need to be done.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by CJTMarineDad View Post
    Latest info is that my son will be transferred to the VA SCI center in San Diego, at least initially. The Marine Corps is working to get my son transferred to the Wounded Warrior Battalion - East. Then, we can work with them to get him transferred back to teh East Coast where he has lots of family and friends who love him and can provide teh emotional support needed.
    Sorry to hear about your son, but great to hear he's headed for the VA SCI unit. I have buddies who were injured while on active duty and the VA was a pain in terms of paperwork, but an awesome rehab program for them. They're still involved with VA and wounded warrior groups and get to do really cool stuff with a tight group of buddies who have been through similar things. It's a good place for your son. My rehab was at Craig, so I'm not personally familiar with the VA SCI system.

Was your son stationed in SD? Or just there briefly? I moved from the NY area to SoCal a few years back. There are pros and cons, but I gotta say the weather, accessibility, etc are better out here in Cali.

It will be different because they consider him "active" duty and has to have"orders" where he goes. The 24 SCI centers in the VA are highly specialized. Even if he goes to a civilian rehab like Shepherd or TIRR or wherever they will only keep him a short amount of time, he can then go to a VA SCI center if he needs to finish his rehabilitation.- and won't be in a hurry to get him out and hopefully he can choose where he goes or close to home. Then he may go back to an army area hospital, near an SCI center and they kind of share his care because he is still active duty for while. I just had a tetraplegic pt. do this- it was the strangest thing to me!
    CWO

PRESSURE SORES!!!!!! WATCH OUT FOR PRESSURE SORES!!!! Show him pics, videos or whatever it takes. Other than that, for me anyway, the support and being told by family and loved ones that life goes on, just a lil different now was all the difference. Go at his pace. You cannot force anything upon anyone that is not ready to hear what you have to say. I am almost 4 years into my injury and the difference between now and 6 months post mentally is a world of difference. Just be there for him. I am a prior service member from the Army, combat medic. PM me if he would be interested in talking with someone with similar background and I will give you my phone number.