Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SCI for Young Marine

New SCI for Young Marine

My son, a new Marine, was in a serious car accident and has a "complete injury" at T4/T5. I believe he will be moved to San Diego Naval Medical Center at Balboa.

I would be interested in any information available about the quality of care available for SCI at this facility.

I would also be interested in any guidance on key steps to take at this early time.

Thanks

Very sorry to hear about your son.

Hopefully someone else can chime in regarding his facility, but as to your other question, some of the more common things to watch out for are skin issues (pressure sores), bloot clots, and infection (usually bladder). Is he already getting up, into a chair?

The DoD has a MOA (Memorandum of Agreement) with the VA Healthcare System that directs that active duty patients with a new SCI should be moved ASAP to a VA SCI Center. There is such as center in San Diego; but it is not at Balboa. He does NOT have to go to Balboa first. He can be moved from wherever he is now to the VA for their SCI rehabilitation program. If you want to PM me with your contact information I can call or privately e-mail you about this tomorrow. I work at this the SCI Center at the VA San Diego.

(KLD)

We are waiting for a special brace that had to be fabricated for his body shape. We cant wait so he is not staring at the ceiling. We do not want him getting pneumonia or bed sores, plus his mood is falling and a change of scenery may help him a little in this very difficult situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Very sorry to hear about your son.

Hopefully someone else can chime in regarding his facility, but as to your other question, some of the more common things to watch out for are skin issues (pressure sores), bloot clots, and infection (usually bladder). Is he already getting up, into a chair?

The SCI Unit located at Jefferson Barrackets St Louis is an excellent facility. We have our own building just for SCI personnel.
    Get away from general care to a SCI unit quickly. Insist on it. They do not understand SCI problems or proper care. They are not use to dealing with it.
    Hang in there. It is rough.
    Semper Fi

Argh, breaking your back, being in the hospital, rehab all suck. But nothing sucks more than that f&%king brace. I had to wear one for 4 months (the last month was hell because the doctor originally said 3 then changed his mind). When I got home after being told I didn't have to wear I put it up against a tree and put about 50 rounds of various types of ammo into it. I have a similar injury (T8 complete) I don't know how the VA handles things but a couple things I wish I had known regarding the TLSO

- In rehab you get stuck w/ loaner chairs with a wide range of sizes, age, so you are super eager to get your own chair ASAP. Wait till your son is out of the brace before getting fitted for a chair. My first chair was an 18x18 (I have a 16x18 now and could fit in a 15x18) with a large back and when the brace came off it was way too wide and the back was too high up.

- don't leave rehab in the brace. You can't do your own bowel program w/ a TLSO, any sort if wheelchair training like learning to wheelie up curbs is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by CJTMarineDad View Post
    We are waiting for a special brace that had to be fabricated for his body shape. We cant wait so he is not staring at the ceiling. We do not want him getting pneumonia or bed sores, plus his mood is falling and a change of scenery may help him a little in this very difficult situation.

Thanks

Latest info is that my son will be transferred to the VA SCI center in San Diego, at least initially. The Marine Corps is working to get my son transferred to the Wounded Warrior Battalion - East. Then, we can work with them to get him transferred back to teh East Coast where he has lots of family and friends who love him and can provide teh emotional support needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The DoD has a MOA (Memorandum of Agreement) with the VA Healthcare System that directs that active duty patients with a new SCI should be moved ASAP to a VA SCI Center. There is such as center in San Diego; but it is not at Balboa. He does NOT have to go to Balboa first. He can be moved from wherever he is now to the VA for their SCI rehabilitation program. If you want to PM me with your contact information I can call or privately e-mail you about this tomorrow. I work at this the SCI Center at the VA San Diego.

(KLD)

Thanks. The current story is that he first needs to go through teh Naval Medical Center to get cleared for rehabilitation. He still needs one more surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    The SCI Unit located at Jefferson Barrackets St Louis is an excellent facility. We have our own building just for SCI personnel.
    Get away from general care to a SCI unit quickly. Insist on it. They do not understand SCI problems or proper care. They are not use to dealing with it.
    Hang in there. It is rough.
    Semper Fi

We were so very hopeful that the brace would make him more comfortable, but when they put it on him yesterday he was even more uncomfortable. It was very upsetting, even each positive step forward seems like one step back.

No spinal orthosis (brace) is designed for comfort. Hopefully they can make some minor adjustments for comfort, but the point of the brace is to hold the spinal bones and hardware in alignment for proper healing while allowing rehabilitation to proceed. Most people wear these for 3 months, and it must be on when the head of the bed is raised or the person is out of bed. Most people go home from rehab still wearing their brace, and this may limit self care activities such as self bowel care (but we often can work around this with adaptive equipment). It is better than the old days when people were on total bed rest for 4-5 months while their backs healed!!

He can achieve optimal vertebral (bone) healing by 1) eating well (high protein), 2) wearing his brace at all times, 3) avoiding NSAID medications for pain (interfere with bone healing) and 4) not using any tobacco products.

(KLD)