Thread: The Cured and The Uncured, Reeve Foundation Blog

The Cured and The Uncured, Reeve Foundation Blog

Me thinks someone at the Reeve Foundation needs to seriously lay off the undergrad anthropology. In brighter news, they've apparently cured SCI.

http://www.spinalcordinjury-paralysis.org/blogs/20/2309

"Will the permanently paralyzed start trashing the newly un-paralyzed for abandoning ship and caring only about themselves, much like disadvantaged blacks blast middle-class blacks for their ?I got mine? attitudes? Will the newly un-paralyzed do just that ? seamlessly rejoin ?normal society,? including adopting the ?normal? attitude that the disabled are sadly broken? Of course this is not just about attitudes ? it?s about the allocation of resources, social programs vs research programs. Another schism could develop between those who can afford the enormous expense of being fixed versus those who can?t, i.e., a new kind of disability class warfare."

I see his point, but I doubt it will be a big deal like he's making it out to be. and I hope he is right about the near future. Sadly I disagree on that front.

At this stage, what he describes is still mostly science fiction, but I'll add his concerns to my "problems I'd like to have" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    At this stage, what he describes is still mostly science fiction, but I'll add his concerns to my "problems I'd like to have" list.
    Your comment reminds me of the explanation of war of the worlds by Orson Welles where he talks about information moving from radio to television and now the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Your comment reminds me of the explanation of war of the worlds by Orson Welles where he talks about information moving from radio to television and now the internet.
    Thanks very much GRAMMY for the video. The "War of the Worlds" broadcast was a profound and prophetic moment in Media and entertainment. It foretold of the use of perception in government, commerce, entertainment, and information dissemination that has increased to this day. Today the power of perception rules the lives of those whom life's distractions make unaware. Truth too often lives now within the shadow of those distractions. This politics of perception has become a great source of power for those of us ambitious and unsympathetic enough to use it.

BTW, George Pal's 1953 "The War of the Worlds" film still remains one of my favorite Sci-Fi movies.

You guys ever see the episode of Family Guy where Joe gets "new legs"?

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post

I did wonder if it was satirical. How else to explain why an organization that is furiously fundraising just to expand a by no means slamdunk trial would put out a piece speculating about the social problems now that cure is practically a done deal. Bizarre.

Disability confidential. Informing. Empowering. Agitating.
    Life After Paralysis is a blog that represents a variety of paralysis community members. It is a place for open conversation about the issues and the interests of people living with paralysis, their family, friends, caregivers, and the professionals that serve them. Comments are welcome!

The opinions expressed in these blogs are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    You guys ever see the episode of Family Guy where Joe gets "new legs"?
    And they think that he turns into a douchebag so they have to re-cripple him....classic
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    And they think that he turns into a douchebag so they have to re-cripple him....classic
    LOL YES!

If only it were as simple as a new set of legs

To be fair that too would be complicated