Thread: What do you say when someone thanks you for your service?

What do you say when someone thanks you for your service?

I never know what to say. It was an honor, a duty. In my church due to circumstance there are a lot of FBI on duty. I can't sit in the church proper so
    sit in the narthex in a comfortable chair. I have issues and in the beginning they offered to help and inquired what why and was pretty frank with them.
    Almost universally they say thank you for your service. These are freaking FBI willing to take a bullet, I always respond and thank you and they looked at
    me as perplexed as I am when they said it to me. Now I'm good friends with a few and we trade stories. to the public I generally I say thank you back,
    but I feel weird about the whole thing. Most folks don't know and I've never cared to share wear nothing attend nothing, my unit as basically gone so we
    rarely get together or even talk. Just in a weird mood I guess.

ket

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Surprises me quite a bit as most of us heard nothing of the kind from the 60's until the last 10 years or so. People appear to be serious so like most of us I just say thanks. You have sacrificed more than most so I would hope it gives you a little satisfaction of a job well done. Thank God they don't blame the troops anymore for the failure of politics to accomplish the impossible.

Hang in there buddy.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Keep up the "Thank you." There is nothing wrong with saying that and actually shows respect. Perhaps without ever having said thank you, you may not have her friendship that has resulted. Just keep doing it. It will be natural.

Blog Entries
    I hear ya ket, it was just another part of my life. I joined up a few months after I turned 18 (and was classified A1) because I knew I would get drafted and thought that enlisting would allow me to serve in a MOS of my choosing. -DUMB- At any rate, I decided to go Airborne, and during jump school was recruited to go to rigger school. I packed personnel chutes at Ft Benning for 14 months, and then got transferred to Okinawa, where I did packing,maintenance, and repair for the First SF Group until my 3 years were up. I did quite a bit of custom fabrication for the HALO training group, and they let me skydive with them. I loved making free jumps from 12,500' from the tailgate of C-130's...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 24 years post injury

I say your welcome and shake their hand. Because I go up to any man or woman in uniform; at the airport, mall, VA, anywhere, shake their hand and tell them thank you for your service. I use to whisper in their ear " Kill em all, let their god sort it out." But my wife talked me out of that.

I say, "You're welcome and thank you. It was a honor to serve." If appropriate I give a handshake.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

For the very first time I received a thanks for your service at the end of a Little League baseball game I had my USN ball cap on. Now I did serve in the early 60's I am a Veteran in all respects, and we were not very popular then, in fact hard looks were far more common. Now at 75 I got a "thanks for your service" from an absolute stranger. And yes my answer as I pushed away a couple of tears was; "You're Welcome, and thanks for your kind consideration" . We then chatted for a bit. What a pleasant thing to have happen and all out of the blue, so sudden.

"It was an honor and a pleasure." When I am with my AB hubby who served in Vietnam I add "but he's the one who served in a hot war."
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I say "Thank You". Have only had one person thank me except for people at the V.A. facilities I have been in. I care nothing about the Veterans Day parades as I recall when they wanted us to fly in Civilian clothes as the uniform was not popular at the time. The "thank you" has the same effect of someone pissing on my leg and telling me it is raining.