Thread: Renting shower chair/commode in L.A.?

Question Renting shower chair/commode in L.A.?

I posted this under equipment but thinking we might get better response here. First big trip for my 20 yr. son (c4/c5) is travelling with dad & 'the boys' first time to L.A. (Santa Monica). Thought we got everything settled with flight and hotel for accessibility, but now we find, it's a BIG problem trying to rent a shower/commode chair let alone a tilt one for him. Hotel tried without luck. Lift doesn't appear to be that big of a problem. Now we getting nervous we may actually have to purchase one $$$.
    Any suggestions please

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Due to health codes you will find it difficult, if not impossible, to rent a shower commode chair.

r
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

goldnucs is correct I doubt your going to find one recent Jayco restrictions on renting those. Pretty much any facility that rents those can be fined it's my understanding.

I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    goldnucs is correct I doubt your going to find one recent Jayco restrictions on renting those. Pretty much any facility that rents those can be fined it's my understanding.
    Jayco = TJC = The Joint Commission (for accreditation of health care organizations) Formerly JCAHO. Not all DMEs are TJC accredited, but many are.

The Craig's list shower chair above is undoubtably NOT a tilt-in-space rehab type of shower chair, but much more likely a stationary stool that does not also function as a stool.

If you are going to be doing much traveling, it would be best to invest in a travel-type shower/commode. You could use the same one at home if you wanted, or just reserve it for travel. The alternative is to do bowel care in bed and a sponge bath when you travel, which will be cheaper but probably less desirable.

(KLD)

I have a quad friend who travels frequently and takes along an extra wheelchair (cheap one) for showering. If desired, a construction sized trash can liner probably fits over the chair. The chair also serves to carry baggage, supplies, etc.

Thank you everyone for your input. I truly appreciate all the advice. Hopefully, what we have found will help someone else. So I googled everything and we ended up renting from Home Health Depot a hoyer lift and a shower chair/commode with wheels. No tilt, but hey, something is better than nothing. Seems a little pricey but just happy to have anything. Will let you know if this all pans out. They supposed to have it delivered to hotel before arrival. Again, thanks everyone for your help. Next project, getting travel chair��!

Any suggestion for traveling type of commode chair. I am 6.3" and 220 Lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Jayco = TJC = The Joint Commission (for accreditation of health care organizations) Formerly JCAHO. Not all DMEs are TJC accredited, but many are.

The Craig's list shower chair above is undoubtably NOT a tilt-in-space rehab type of shower chair, but much more likely a stationary stool that does not also function as a stool.

If you are going to be doing much traveling, it would be best to invest in a travel-type shower/commode. You could use the same one at home if you wanted, or just reserve it for travel. The alternative is to do bowel care in bed and a sponge bath when you travel, which will be cheaper but probably less desirable.

(KLD)
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

We use a lot of Nuprodx where I work, and I had one for my mother. http://www.nuprodx.com/

One of our members also makes and sells the Go!AnyWhere chairs: http://goesanywhere.com/

Both have several models designed for travel.

(KLD)

Thank you for the leads SCI-Nurse! Will be doing some comparisons for travel shower chairs.
    Comad, have heard Motion can make these chairs as well but need to check out. Super pricey in Canada, esp. if it has to be custom made. Might be route to go thru U.S. We'll see