Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new chair/ Fix old chair?

no, its just tubing cut 2" higher than the current version. Talk to Jeff Adams about it if the order form on the website isn't showing it yet, when I was speccing out my Icon the order form online was really out of date.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by surfslushie View Post
    ...clip...
    I doubt there will be any 16x14 chairs or cushions for sale. Can't even find a new Roho in that dimension.
    "special cuts available": http://www.supracor.com/products/show/107
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Sweet. How much does that cushion usually cost?

Quote Originally Posted by surfslushie View Post
    Sweet. How much does that cushion usually cost?
    Oh that, this is what they list: http://www.supracor.com/resources/me...Price-List.pdf
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Lots of cushions do custom sizing. I have a 15x17 vicair vector which is unusual, and am getting a 14x16 stimulite.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Looking at the on line manual for your chair. There are a lot of adjustments in the rear wheels. It mentions, shims being off that can cause 3 wheeling. It also says you can move the axle plate forward and flip it to move it even more. Your floating rear wheel might be caused by one of those. Can you post a picture of the frame, from the side.
    What cushion to you have now?o
    Salt water is going to cause problems, no matter what chair you use. It will corrode aluminum. It won't bother titanium, but your bearings are made of iron. Nuts and bolts too. You need to rinse the salt off as soon as possible. Keeping an eye on bearings and repacking them with fresh grease will help them last.
    I glue tire patches to my gloves to get more grip. Not wally world or bike shop patches. Go to NAPA and get the kit for car/truck inner tubes. Much better/grippier patches.

Just a few thoughts, as coherent as I can make them in my current post-surgical, drugged-up state:

It's worth noting that seat depth varies a bit between manufacturers (they put different lengths of tubing between the end of the seat sling and the start of the bend, and their bends aren't all the same either). TiLite, for example "builds 'em short" (some models/options shorter than others), whereas Quickie builds 'em long. So a 15" deep seat on a Quickie might be essentially the same as a 16" seat depth on a TiLite, except that the sling would be shorter. (My Quickie Ti is a 16x15", and the TiLite I was looking at to replace it would have needed to be about a 15+1.5" seat depth to approximate what I had.) Something to take into account. So if your current chair is a "built long", it's possible that a TiLite demo from eBay that is an inch too long on paper might be just what you're aiming at.

Because you're also looking for a relatively unusual size, and since you seem open to secondhand gear, it may be worth considering whether the chair models you're looking at allow the backrest to be moved forwards. TiLites generally do not, though it is an option ("depth adjustable frame"). If the backrest can be moved forwards, that effectively allows you to shorten the chair. On some chairs it's also straightforward to move the seat sling forwards; on others (such as my backup Colours Razorblade), it isn't.

For what it's worth, I know a couple of guys at rugby who sit on the wheels of their rugby chairs to regroup before the second step of a transfer. If a quad can sit on the wheel of a rugby chair with 15-18? camber, I'd say it's not an overly camber-dependent thing. The camber you're talking about is very minimal anyway. Depending what brand/model of chair you get, it may be relatively inexpensive to replace the camber tube with one of a different setting in the future if you do have problems.

My feeling with regard to regret about frame material is that you're far more likely to regret 'settling' for a chair that doesn't quite fit/work than you are to regret settling for the non-premium aluminium frame. Also, some of us love titanium mainly because it doesn't have to be painted. Because you WANT paint, that doesn't apply to you. I'm not sure how realistic the claims of vibration dampening for titanium are, but the claims made for vibration dampening of soft-roll castors, suspension forks, and especially rear suspension are justified, so consider getting at least the soft-rolls to cut down on clonus if you get that from crossing thresholds, etc. The Icon comes with rear suspension as standard, and it doesn't seem to result in a weighty chair. Before you rule out the Icon, I'd really recommend you take the time to talk to Jeff the Icon guy to see if your concerns about sizing are justified. You have nothing to lose there, and he's reportedly an awesome guy. I realise the Icon may be out of your price range new, and they're only occasionally available secondhand, but if a secondhand one did present itself it's so very very adjustable that you could almost certainly make it work for you.

Quickie has 2 frame depth options with what QTipi you're describing, I think they might call the longer frame classic? But with my 2011 Q7 I do not have much frame before the bend, I had been hoping for the longer frame since I need my feet further in front of me. But I accomplished what I needed by adjusting my footplate at least.

Do not go with the quickie 2 it is a folding chair and has many of the things you don't want.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

We have a pediatric model that goes as small as 10X10 - we can definitely build a chair for you - we can either do what Lin said, or do a high-mount footrest.