Thread: What? scar tissue disappeared after neural regrowth???

What? scar tissue disappeared after neural regrowth???

Neurons Regenerate in Rat Spinal Cord
    Researchers at the University of California, San Diego, demonstrate that neural progenitor cells grafted into injured rat spinal cords can grow long axons and connect to host neurons.
    By Jef Akst |
    November 18, 2014

Neural regeneration has long been eyed as a possible treatment for spinal cord injury. Unfortunately, most studies have shown that unless new cells are grafted within a few weeks of injury, no new neurons are able to grow. This is in part because astrocytes and other neural support cells form a scar, of sorts, that physically blocks neuronal growth. But Ken Kadoya and colleagues at the University of California, San Diego, have demonstrated that neurons can and do grow in injured rat spinal cords months after injury, according to research presented at the Society for Neuroscience (SfN) meeting being held in Washington, DC, this week.

The researchers grafted neural progenitor cells from fetal rats into lesions in the adult rat spinal cords either two weeks or six months after injury. In both groups, the results looked nearly identical: the lesions filled up with new neurons, and those neurons projected axons to the brain stem and to distant regions of the spinal cord. ?Even if you graft six months after injury, you can get many neurons in the lesion site and those neurons can connect to the host neurons,? Kadoya told The Scientist. Moreover, the researchers found that the astrocyte-generated scar tissue around the lesion site had disappeared after neural regrowth. "It's as if the tissue rejuvenates," said neuroscientist Lars Olson of the Karolinska Institute in Sweden who was not involved in the work.

SOURCE

Holy sh$t, this sounds pretty awesome!

What do you think about this Dr Young?

''However much more study is needed to come to any conclusive hypothesis..Transfer to humans is certainly years away'' Always the latter with these but yesss very astounding nonetheless.. ty
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Moe, sorry about the delayed response. It is one of the reasons why I do not like the word "scar". Astrocytes are the most prevalent cells in the central nervous system and they proliferate where there is injury and breakdown of the blood brain barrier, since astrocytes are the cells that form the blood brain barrier. As I have mentioned several times, I don't think that the word "scar" should be applied unless there are fibroblasts associated with the astrocytes. Astrocytosis diminishes at injury sites over time after injury. So, it is not surprising that there are fewer astrocytes in the spinal cords over time. Neural stem cells produce many factors that may change the environment of the spinal cord and may reduce astrocytosis in the region. It is an interesting finding. Wise.