Thread: Taller Side Guards for TiLite AeroZ?

Taller Side Guards for TiLite AeroZ?

My Side Guards (aluminum removable) were just slightly higher than top of tire height when I got the chair a couple weeks ago.. but we had to lower the rear seat height and now they are below the height of the wheel.

There does not seem to be a way to adjust them at all.
    Do they make larger/taller ones? Does someone else?

I have 25" rear tires. My rear seat height was 17" originally, but we lowered it as low as the adjustment would go.

Name:  2014-11-15 15.20.58.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  2014-11-15 15.23.31.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  219.6 KB

I had the same issue with my zra, for a year or so i just moved the sideguard up a notch, securing the two bottom holes with the upper screws on the metal piece (hope that makes sense with all the technical jargon ). It gave me some extra height, but it makes the sideguards a little weak since it is now only secured by 2 screw sinstead of 4 and eventually one of the screws sheared off. It is less than ideal, but it's a free fix.

Finally forked out something like $180 to sportaid for the larger size sideguards, which they do make by the way. But really they are not much taller at all, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch taller than the small sideguards, and actually shorter than when i had the small sideguards moved up. What the larger sideguards mostly do is extend forward further, which i didn't particularly need because my chair, like yours, already had the front of the tire covered by the small sideguards.

So there's my experience. If you find someone who makes an offbrand sideguard that is actually taller, let a brother know.

I've done many mods on my AeroZ, but not this particular one. I would try shortening the slot on the bracket, first by just taping a short piece of something (eg., broken off plastic spoon handle) over it so the guard won't drop down so far. If it works, epoxy something on.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 494
Size:  38.3 KB
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I ordered a pair of the 9" carbon fiber ones that Dagger Components has.... totally not worth it!
    They use such thin carbon fiber, and being taller means less rigid support.. so anytime i shift my weight they just flex outward and lean on the tires.
    Sad waste of a lot of money, that I can't really afford to waste.

I reached out to TiLite via facebook and they said call my DME and they can have custom ones cut.
    --------------------------------
    TiLite Aero Z since 10/2014
    I have Dysautonomia which results in the inability to stand or walk for more than a couple of minutes.

That said... if you need 9" high side guards... and are in a situation where you are thin enough that you/your hips never lean against your side guards....

i'd be happy to sell you the ones i just bought.. used only one day for about 4 hours.
    --------------------------------
    TiLite Aero Z since 10/2014
    I have Dysautonomia which results in the inability to stand or walk for more than a couple of minutes.

If you wind up getting those custom TiLite sideguards, post up here and let us know how they worked out (and how much they ended up costing).