Thread: Dr. Murray Blackmore:The Hunt Continues for Novel Therapeutic SCI Gene Targets at W2W

Thumbs up Dr. Murray Blackmore:The Hunt Continues for Novel Therapeutic SCI Gene Targets at W2W

Attendees at the U2FP Working 2 Walk Symposium in Seattle were updated on the latest exciting strategies and new results from the Dr. Murray Blackmore Laboratory at Marquette University in Milwaukee. Dr. Blackmore revealed the progress of his latest attempts to identify critical gene targets in adult neurons that may result in future therapeutic interventions. LINK:

We're talking serious bench SCI research and not with a walkie-talkie! LINK:

that is really interesting research

Grammy,
    Sound in video is bad ...low volume - I didn't hear half of presentation.... or maybe it's my tinnitus..
    anyway - I have a question - Is Dr. Blackmore have any hint what could be a "switch gene" that
    stop's recovery?
    I was thinking if OEC cells are only CNS regenerative cells they have exactly that gene
    "turned in different direction"... pardon my simplification...
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    Grammy,
    Sound in video is bad ...low volume - I didn't hear half of presentation.... or maybe it's my tinnitus..
    anyway - I have a question - Is Dr. Blackmore have any hint what could be a "switch gene" that
    stop's recovery?
    Yes, what he's describing is that there is a possibility there's more than just one gene responsible for shutting off regeneration after injury. He's sorting through the genes and looking at them in two ways. Genes that are potentially responsible for shutting off regeneration, but also genes that may help by turning them back on. He's excited because he's getting some hit candidates and his sorting with the high throughput screening microscope is paying off. He's using Optogenetics and CRISPR technology in the lab now too.