Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Jackets.

My Dad has a couple winter vests. One fleece, one down. When it gets cold, he uses arm warmers. Works the best for him for crutch walking and wheelchairing.

Where did you order your wool cape from? Do you mind sharing the link? I had one years ago, it was extremely convenient and easy to put on!

Quote Originally Posted by dukie357 View Post
    Where did you order your wool cape from? Do you mind sharing the link? I had one years ago, it was extremely convenient and easy to put on!
    Here are a few resources for mens' wool capes. You may want to look for ones the won't have loose fabric that can get down onto or even tangled in your wheels (if you are in a manual chair). Check out women's capes too. Some have a fairly masculine look:

http://www.hmoon.com/ponchos.html

http://www.bohemia-style.com/Black-A...loak-p-42.html

http://www.lallamaplace.com/Merchant...900101-14.html

You might also want to search for men's or unisex wool ponchos.

(KLD)

IZ Adaptive has really well thought out clothing for wheelchair users.

http://www.izadaptive.com/collections/mens-outerwear

Quote Originally Posted by dukie357 View Post
    Got mine after extensive search on Amazon. Unfortunately the cleaning instructions are in Chinese. Probably dry clean, but will keep looking for one I can home launder.

I wear a full zip fleece with a windbreaker. If road is messy, I wear long bread bags with end cut off over my sleeves where they might get really nasty--hokey, but practical. Keeping head and hands warm is critical, but my core stays warm from effort to get around in manual chair. If it's really cold, I wear a balaclava or neoprene face mask to warm my breath--especially helpful when exerting, since my disease also affects my lungs.
    Last edited by WaveWolf; 12-05-2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: afterthought

I can't stand wearing a jacket. I have been dressing in layers for years and it seems to be effective enough for me to stay warm in Massachusetts weather....as long as it isn't raining. I usually wear a turtleneck from LLBean and a wool sweater over that and I am comfortable. I used to wear a plaid flannel shirt over the turtleneck but I stopped doing that maybe 15 years ago. I will wear a winter hat if it's very, very cold out (under 15 degrees). Winter gloves are a pain. Vests can be good (both down vests and wool dress vests).

If you have a slender build look for jackets with athletic cuts, they're more form fitting and don't hang over the side or bunch up. Smokey has it right, dress in layers as oppose to a bulky heavy jackets. Usually a Lind sleeve t-shirt, button up shirt, light fleece, and outer windproof/rainproof shell is sufficient for temps down in the 20's F for several hours. I'm actually more concern with my legs getting too cold than my upper body. Because of the decrease in blood flow, I've noticed it takes longer to return to normal temps. As for keeping the jacket clean, it hasn't been an issue because of the form fitting outer wear I purchase.
    Last edited by lazierdog; 12-06-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Yes, Jodielynn, my doctor recently showed me her "packable down jacket" after I commented on the task of putting on winter clothing. Light as a feather.

The Carhart or Walls type work jacket in a dark color seems to work well. And they have the added benefit of being warm.