Thread: SCI research?

Question SCI research?

I don't know if this is really good place to ask this question,if its not I guess this will get moved.
    I think I'm getting a bit disenchanted with all the stem cell research. I've been looking up actual peer reviewed journals lately and reading them. What I have found is and that the man the media is claiming to be the first successful chronic sci repair is not actually the first successful repair. I have found papers dating back 2006 of other experimental therapies that had similar results.

I guess what I'm getting at is that now at 5 years post injury, my hope is starting to fade in believing I will ever see viable treatment in my lifetime. please share your thoughts

edit: when I say successful, I don't mean up and dancing, I just mean some kind of feeling and minimal movement. sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by PC720; 11-13-2014 at 09:33 PM.

From what I have seen or read what has occurred so far falls short of what I personally would consider successful repair. That does not mean I think the research should stop. It should be accelerated if funding for it increased. 5 years is a short time from my perspective of 41 years post injury. Keep a sliver of hope alive that it may happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PC720 View Post
    I don't know if this is really good place to ask this question,if its not I guess this will get moved.
    I think I'm getting a bit disenchanted with all the stem cell research. I've been looking up actual peer reviewed journals lately and reading them. What I have found is and that the man the media is claiming to be the first successful chronic sci repair is not actually the first successful repair. I have found papers dating back 2006 of other experimental therapies that had similar results.

I guess what I'm getting at is that now at 5 years post injury, my hope is starting to fade in believing I will ever see viable treatment in my lifetime. please share your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by PC720 View Post

Hi buddy, I kinda see what you mean.

We hear about these apparent breakthroughs every now and then, but then nothing of them since.

The only hopeful thought I can share is that we will likely see Wise Young's therapy approved and in use the soonest if things go well.

I'm not saying it's THE cure/therapy, but one that so far seems the most viable. We are looking at 2015 if funding is secured, and "compassionate use" towards the end of next year - once treatment phase is over. This basically means that treatment can begin before the end of the third phase - but there maybe certain rules for this too, such as life and death situations in other trials.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by taymas View Post
    Hi buddy, I kinda see what you mean.

We hear about these apparent breakthroughs every now and then, but then nothing of them since.

The only hopeful thought I can share is that we will likely see Wise Young's therapy approved and in use the soonest if things go well.
    I agree with you taymas, Dr Young's work to me seems to be the frontrunner as far a therapy that might benefit and reach us the soonest. I received a packet of info from Miami Project concerning their upcoming trials for chronic injuries using schwann cells. Imo the schwann cell trial is at the "promising" stage since theres no data from chronic participants, yet. I went ahead and added my info in their database for consideration for future trials.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->