Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New power chairs?

New power chairs?

I've had my quickie p222 7 years now and am looking for a new one as slim as mine. I'm thinking of looking at ones that recline because I'm tired of my bad posture [but I need to be able to drive my minivan in it]. Are there any newer smaller profile chairs out there?
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

I really not sure of the P222 width but guess since you are looking for slim width that about 24" of base width size.
    My Pride Mobility Quantum Q6 Edge has overall base width of 24" and length is 35" without foot riggings. But, it's a center-wheel-drive and I don't know what you are looking for. Mine is pretty good chair, took bit to get use to from mostly rear wheel drive use, 21st Century Scientific H-Frame. One thing about width is narrow I think due to use of Group 22NF Batteries, don't know if that is a issue for you.
    Power Recline is smooth, powered articulating footboard is smooth operation as well as you able to go with Pride seating or my Ottobock Backrest fits well.
    My Amy System AllTrack R Series is considered a rear wheel drive, if you go with Group 22NF Batteries it's a 24" width, mine is HD with Group 24 Batteries and it's little over 25 1/2" width. Seating on it is really good, too. Power recline, tilt and articulating footboard are all smooth and built well.

I would really talk with your seating folks and get that posture problem addressed. You might benefit with some positioning supports or different backrest or seat cushion change.
    Whatever chairs you are thinking about get demo's with all major manufacture Rep's of chairs you are interested in. The Rep can answer all your questions and often able to share upcoming products and best is being able to use the chair in your daily routine.
    "Good Luck!"

why not stay with the p-222 and when you get a new one get tilt and/or recline ? or quickies newer models the s-636/646 also available with tilt and/or recline ?

the p222 doesn't recline, it tilts and you have to stay in that - weird - position, no power mechanism.

Mike you mean bypass a dme and call the manufacturers directly? hadn't thought of that. I have to find a new dme now that I have medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    the p222 doesn't recline, it tilts and you have to stay in that - weird - position, no power mechanism.

Mike you mean bypass a dme and call the manufacturers directly? hadn't thought of that. I have to find a new dme now that I have medicare.
    Sorry, I don't know about your area but here our DME arranged with manufactures Reps to bring models out outfitted as close as they could with equipment we needed.

If you don't have a starting place yet with a DME I would highly recommend checking with as many wheelers you can concerning DME's in your area and be sure of before and after delivery service before choosing a DME.
    Since there is not a great deal of makers there are still a lot of different models of chairs with many different options so it will help a lot if you and if you have seating folks already narrowing down choices of which chair models that will meet your needs when setting up demo. Most of Manufacture Reps that came out to our home used mini-vans so not much room to bring many. They usually bought out only 1 or 2 models to demo.
    Here our DME works with, I think all manufactures. Mama and I have used same DME for many years and we have gotten just about all our equipment from them including powerchairs from a lot of different makers over the years: 21st Century Scientific, Pride Mobility, Permobil, Mertis, Golden and AmySystems. They handle everything from simple manual through complex rehab powerchairs.
    "Good Luck!" I truly hope I didn't get to long winded. But hoped to stress the relationship between you and your selected DME is very important since there has to be so much trust the DME will be there when you have needed repairs since that is when good DME's shine!

You can get an Amysystem Seating for the p222 that I'm pretty sure can have recline. I'm pretty sure engineermom2 has that combo, although I don't know if she has recline (I know she has tilt). If you like the P222, it sure would be worth investigating whether you can add a reclining Amysystems seat. Seems like that would give you a narrow chair (my P222SE is only 22" wide using the narrower tire option) and recline and still having a RWD, which is what you are used to.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Be careful when dealing with width issues. Often the base is not the widest part of the wheelchair. On my Permobil the widest place is at the armrests. How wide they are varies with the seat width while the base remains the same.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GJ2 View Post
    why not stay with the p-222 and when you get a new one get tilt and/or recline ? or quickies newer models the s-636/646 also available with tilt and/or recline ?
    well I just read your previous post that medicare wont pay for the p222, dammit, you're sure about that? I had a private insurance when I got my current chair.
    is the 636/646 any good?

ETA I guess it is possible if I pay
    http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com/abn.html
    Last edited by leschinsky; 11-16-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    You can get an Amysystem Seating for the p222 that I'm pretty sure can have recline. I'm pretty sure engineermom2 has that combo, although I don't know if she has recline (I know she has tilt). If you like the P222, it sure would be worth investigating whether you can add a reclining Amysystems seat. Seems like that would give you a narrow chair (my P222SE is only 22" wide using the narrower tire option) and recline and still having a RWD, which is what you are used to.
    that looks interesting though a search of the forum doesn't turn up much. I wonder how reliable it is.

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    that looks interesting though a search of the forum doesn't turn up much. I wonder how reliable it is.
    You should pm engineermom2 and ask her what she has and how it has performed.
    C-6/7 incomplete