Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The welding of Offcarr Quasar wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by rAdGie View Post
    the welding on my tr3 is unreal, you can hardly see it, not 1 fault, so this person must of been one hell of a welder, i thought it was done by machine because of how neat it is, nowhere near like the above pictures
    Absolutely! The welding on both my Ti chairs is textbook. It's satisfying to see that artisans still have a place in our manufacturing. No wonder they put the flag decal on that touts "Hand Made in USA"
    I've done a lot of welding and that quality is something to aspire to (unlike the possibly cold, obviously globbed on and ground back stuff in the first post) I often wondered if a suitable "mouth-pedal" could be fabled so I could do TIG.

I notice stuff like this. Another example of high quality fabrication/manufacture are the Nuprodix line of shower chairs, etc. They are built like they came out of a race-car fabrication/aeronautic shop. A wonderful melding of form and function in a very sturdy, lightweight, and functional butt-tool that will never wear out!

Quote Originally Posted by TiLite View Post
    Thanks for noticing. We employ craftsman here at TiLite and they take a lot of pride in what they do. I'll pass on your kinds words to the welders. I know they will appreciate it.
    Did heat treating get answered or not? Is it the industry standard to heat treat Al wheelchair welds? Does Tilite do it?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

[QUOTE=nonoise;1752188]Did heat treating get answered or not? Is it the industry standard to heat treat Al wheelchair welds? Does Tilite do it?[/QUOTE
    No, we do not.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

heat-treating vs. non-

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Did heat treating get answered or not? Is it the industry standard to heat treat Al wheelchair welds? Does Tilite do it?
    *** totally off-topic to original thread, but anyways... ***

I sincerely doubt anyone building everyday wheelchairs does, nowadays.

As an aficionado of wheelchair rugby (and player) I have wondered about the advantages of heat-treating aluminum because our chairs go through hell. All manufacturers use 6061 aluminum, although Vesco MetalCraft in California is the only one who does heat-treating. Their chairs set the standard for strength over 10 years ago now, since then the game has exploded. I'd guess international ball is twice as fast as it was. Some of the hits are huge, there is a hierarchy of quad-amputees that have changed the game at the elite level. They hit ridiculously hard. Vesco set the bar and manufacturers like Melrose in New Zealand and Schmicking in Germany have branded themselves cleverly to join the market. This competition has led to small innovations, yet Vesco has stayed true to their roots.

I ordered a new (rugby) chair 2 years ago. At that time I sweated every detail. After attending an international tournament in-person (CanadaCup2012) I could hear the difference between 2 heat-treated chairs hitting and 2 that were not. Both violent. The Vesco's seem to bounce off one another, similar to a car-wreck in the 50's or 60's, no "give" in the chair. To me that isn't necessarily a good thing. Some shock absorption is preferable to me, up to a point. Deflection without deformation would be desirable, but how many "cycles" (hits) could they take? No one knows. As I am a lowly Division2 player (at best) I rarely play anyone faster or heavier than myself. The majority of punishment on my chair is self-inflicted.

I'd played 50+ games plus bi-weekly practices the previous season. Seen 2 Vesco's crack, both in the vertical backrest uprights. Bigger dudes, getting smashed around, leaning hard into hits. I'd heard of Melrose chairs cracking but were always playable. That was my worst nightmare at the time - not being able to play due to equipment failure. I opted for a Melrose. If terrors like Ryley Batt (big Australian pictured below) seldom break them, I never will.

Name:  7111180963_22a95a53d3_z.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  228.4 KB

Long story short - heat treating good, but unnecessary. The quality of material as well as weld technology has come light years in the last 20-30 years.

<sigh> TotoL1 where are you?!?!! We are wondering about your new chair! He was a little mysterious about whether he was going to bite the bullet and go titanium on his Oracing SL.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I often wondered if a suitable "mouth-pedal" could be fabled so I could do TIG.
    You can totally TIG. There are numerous companies that make hand dials on the torch to control amperage. http://www.ckworldwide.com/amperage_controls.htm
    I have a Weldcraft, http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...crafttorch.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    You can totally TIG. There are numerous companies that make hand dials on the torch to control amperage. http://www.ckworldwide.com/amperage_controls.htm
    SWEET!!! Always imagined this was a deal-breaker for us non-walkers. Fucking A, I'm learning to weld!

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    I've been told, but not seen it myself, there is a Tig machine that doesn't use the pedal or thumb dial. It senses what's needed and adjusts itself. Might look for that.

No heat treat after aluminum weld? This will reduce the T6 aluminum to T4 strength, is it safe enough?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

There's something about welding.

It's funny how certain topics strike a nerve, in this case in a positive way. I got several college degrees, spent many years as an engineer, managed small and large manufacturing operations, and through it all, I admired the craftsmen. My machine shop skills were pretty good, both from real work when I was young and from making custom one-off sailboat parts for myself later in life. After a day of meetings straight out of "Dilbert", an evening of making chips and something real was gratifying. But one skill that eluded me was welding. I did them all: gas, stick, MIG and TIG. I sucked at everything. I envied the polished look that our best TIG welder would create on the food-grade equipment. It seemed like magic. Of course, he had thousands of hours under the hood and I could count mine on the fingers of one hand.

After I retired, I bought a small wire-feed unit and set about home projects--carts, lawn art, stairs and decks. I was just getting my welds functionally sufficient (still not very pretty) when I broke my neck mountain biking. Little hand function=End of welding.

So when I see a thread like this, extolling the virtues of of a craftsman/artisan/welder (at least in TiLite's case) it makes me feel good, a bit wistful but still good.

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    . . . So when I see a thread like this, extolling the virtues of of a craftsman/artisan/welder (at least in TiLite's case) it makes me feel good, a bit wistful but still good.
    x2
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>