Thread: philips hue lights controlled from my phone

philips hue lights controlled from my phone

I just wanted to pass this along. I purchased a starter kit which comes with three bulbs and a wifi unit. I wanted to test them out to use in my bedroom and kitchen. After using them for a week I found that I loved them and bought a few more.

The reason I love them is that I am able to control all the hue lights from my phone. I don't know how many times I transfer into bed only to transfer back out because I forgot to turn a light off. That in itself is worth the cost to me since My body tries to sabotage my transfers.

I had a lot of questions about them and didn't want to spend the money but they are worth it to me.
    Depending on the app used with them they can be controlled to use as timers, alarms, or notification of things like emails or texts.
    The ability to change color also is nice since my kitchen is open to the living room I am able to soften the lights in the kitchen for better viewing of my tv.

Finally the light is as bright as a normal 60 watt bulb in the default mode actually I think its a touch brighter. They also shine just like a regular bulb.

I do wish they were cheaper but I think over time I will replace all my CFL bulbs with LED. I hate that the CFL bulbs have mercury in them but when I replaced all my incandescents to CFL I noticed a big change in my electric bill. Being on a fixed income that means a lot.

Anyways this isn't an ad for Hues I just wanted to pass along the benefits I have found with these bulbs and they are so easy to set up.
    Last edited by cfx; 11-11-2014 at 12:59 PM.

One of our neighbors has the Hue setup. It's pretty neat.

The lights work with https://ifttt.com/ too, which opens up all sorts of crazy ways to create visual alerts.

I second how badass hue is. I can turn my room so it's black lit, or just make it a rave with blinking flashy lights. They really help cut down on my transfers too.

Hi, is that all you need? Do you need to buy special light switch or light sockets?
    Save The Whales

Quote Originally Posted by yobder View Post
    Hi, is that all you need? Do you need to buy special light switch or light sockets?
    The Hue stuff is expensive and somewhat silly if you ask me. I would look at the WeMo stuff. It is a lot more practical (and cheaper)

Quote Originally Posted by yobder View Post
    All one needs is wifi for the bride to connect to and the bulbs communicate with each other and your smart phone. So plug the bridge in, screw the lightbulbs in and connect to phone. Done

I'm not familiar with the weMo other than the ones I looked up use double the energy 11watt compared to the hues 4.9watts. Also if one isn't into the changing colors Philips sells the Lux which are just white. Otherwise buy them they are a few bucks cheaper.

I really don't think its silly that I can control lights from my phone. Actually its been a life saver and has really helped save me from reaching for lights that are a bitch to reach in a chair. Well worth the money when you consider all the other things we as SCI victims are over charged for as "medical devices"

Changing colors of the lights has also been nice over the Holidays making the house a little festive. Not needing to buy other lights that would need to be put up and taken down. I don't change the lights a lot but I do have settings that soften the light depending on if I'm watching a movie or reading a book that normal lights can't offer.

WeMo allows you to turn lights on and off via you phone as well, which being in a wheelchair is why I bought them. It's the changing colors I found silly. Plus I would rather have the Wifi control the switch instead of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    All one needs is wifi for the bride to connect to and the bulbs communicate with each other and your smart phone. So plug the bridge in, screw the lightbulbs in and connect to phone. Done

I'm not familiar with the weMo other than the ones I looked up use double the energy 11watt compared to the hues 4.9watts. Also if one isn't into the changing colors Philips sells the Lux which are just white. Otherwise buy them they are a few bucks cheaper.

I really don't think its silly that I can control lights from my phone. Actually its been a life saver and has really helped save me from reaching for lights that are a bitch to reach in a chair. Well worth the money when you consider all the other things we as SCI victims are over charged for as "medical devices"

Changing colors of the lights has also been nice over the Holidays making the house a little festive. Not needing to buy other lights that would need to be put up and taken down. I don't change the lights a lot but I do have settings that soften the light depending on if I'm watching a movie or reading a book that normal lights can't offer.

Check out sync'ing a TV show like 12 Monkeys with the Hue lighting. Seemed moderately interesting looking at youtube videos of that. I was thinking about getting the Hue setup, but my theater room is dark normally, so not too sure how I'd like lights in there. But if you have them already...check it out.