Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Student loan trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Taanshi79 View Post
    May I just say that might depend on your injury level ...
    Yes, it might. However, the OP's profile doesn't state an injury level.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Yes, it might. However, the OP's profile doesn't state an injury level.
    Correct, it doesn't, but your statement was so general, just had to say that.
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

Quote Originally Posted by Taanshi79 View Post
    Correct, it doesn't, but your statement was so general, just had to say that.
    ...and I'm glad you did.

That said, I'm friends w/ a guy w/ a C5 complete injury of around 25 years who works full-time out of the home. He's figured out how to stay healthy, has a routine, and makes it happen. It's not easy but it's doable.

Your welcome what do you expect? It's a hard money loan with a co signer, that is why who ever you got the loan from structured it that way. You say you were in default before you got hurt so now you want it written off.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinker View Post
    Thanks, for that great advice.
    ^^(A)^^

Blog Entries
    This is just the tip of another huge and troubling loan problem. Once again our government has guaranteed loans. They tried to improve things by making it all but impossible to get rid of these loans. They follow you even through bankruptcy. I wish I knew an answer to your problem.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Is paying off the loan not an answer?

I married into a pile of student debt (over $30k). We paid it off. It wasn't fun and we sacrificed some things to do so, but it's gone & it feels good.

Is paying off the loan not an answer?

I married into a pile of student debt (over $30k). We paid it off. It wasn't fun and we sacrificed some things to do so, but it's gone & it feels good.
    I wouldn't call that a "pile" of student debt unless it was the 70s or something... that's average student debt for an undergrad degree and most people have to pay that off themselves not as a couple (I guess on average they would have to pay double that as a couple who both went to school). That's barely a years tuition at many private for profit schools.

I personally work with someone who has well over ten times that much debt (counting med school the figure is somewhere in the 400s) and is working for around $45,000 a year for the next 4 years trying to pay some of it back (and by that I mean pay part of the annual interest must be in the neighborhood of $30,000 a year at current rates).

Sure $30,000 sucks, but the "sacrifices" you made to pay it back are the same sacrifices the "average" person makes to pay back their "average" loans. This is the unfortunate state of things in this country and it needs some changing.

For all we know the OP went to a private school for several years and racked up a six figure debt which might not be feasible to pay off.

Whatever. $30k was a lot hanging over our head. We attacked it to pay it off in less than 3 years. My wife worked full-time, I was in grad school full-time, AND I was working to avoid any loans of my own.

The amount isn't the point here. It's foolish to rack up any amount of loans without plans to pay it off.

The amount isn't the point here. It's foolish to rack up any amount of loans without plans to pay it off.
    I think the OP likely had plans to pay off his debt before he got SCI'd and after that I'm sure his mother had plans to pay off the loan before she fell ill. You know what they say about best laid plans...

You can also apply for a discharge of your student loans based on disability. No one knows your situation but you, and you should not be made to feel guilty if you choose discharge. If you are a veteran and service connected it is even easier than for a non veteran. You have to get paperwork signed by your physicians and the wording has to be just right or they will deny you a discharge out of hand. Send in all completed paperwork return receipt requested. I know numerous people who have had their paperwork go 'missing' at the Dept. of Ed. The requirements for a discharge are difficult to find, but are available on the DOE website.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess