Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Student loan trouble

Student loan trouble

Long story short, I had student loans that were in default, before I got hurt. Now the crappy part. My mom is/was a co signer on them. She only works part time due to health issues and now with me being disabled, they are going after her. They have waived me from them, but not her. She found a lawyer to work with her, through the state I guess. The collection agency agree'd to only take a certain percent of her check, when they went to court. She has been working more hours and they are taken her whole check and the lawyer isn't doing anything about it and she can't afford a good lawyer. Anybody have any idea what she can do?

Sorry but you have to pay your bills injured or not.
    Last edited by darty; 11-10-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    ^^(A)^^

Actually, people with USA govt insured student loans who then become disabled are able to apply for a waiver. I don't think that applies to a co-signer though, so yes, it would appear that this puts your mother's financial status at risk. Suggest she see a good debt counselor (there are a lot of bad ones out there).

For legal help, consider asking about student assistance at your closest law school. Many have a law clinic where students get experience in managing problems like this before they have completed school and taken the bar exam.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    Sorry but you have to pay your bills injured or not.
    Thanks, for that great advice.

Can you increase your income?

Quote Originally Posted by Clinker View Post
    Long story short, I had student loans that were in default, before I got hurt. Now the crappy part. My mom is/was a co signer on them. She only works part time due to health issues and now with me being disabled, they are going after her. They have waived me from them, but not her. She found a lawyer to work with her, through the state I guess. The collection agency agree'd to only take a certain percent of her check, when they went to court. She has been working more hours and they are taken her whole check and the lawyer isn't doing anything about it and she can't afford a good lawyer. Anybody have any idea what she can do?
    This about summarizes everything wrong with this country. So sad for your mother and you

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Can you increase your income?
    Yes, maybe some lotto tickets or prerselecting parents with money.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Yes, maybe some lotto tickets or prerselecting parents with money.
    An injured spine doesn't eliminate one's economic value. There are ways to make money.

I'd feel pretty obligated to find a way to change the situation if it were my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    An injured spine doesn't eliminate one's economic value. There are ways to make money.

I'd feel pretty obligated to find a way to change the situation if it were my mother.
    May I just say that might depend on your injury level ...
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

Did you complete the degree that the student loans were made for?? Are you working or looking for work?

(KLD)