Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Probiotics

I've taken the pearls elite.... I take one when I feel the need or smell the need! The nose doesn't lie! Nor does the cushion i sit on... Once u figure out what not enough good bacteria makes u smell like, u will know when u need them... I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't know how else to say it! I'd say I have minimal problems, usually diet related, nothing medical except for sci ... I've been getting away with one a month ... But when I first started I tool daily for a month or so.... And that was about 1 1/2. Years ago..
    Jrich73

I have used Garden of Life Ultra for years off and on. Usually 4-6 per day for several months after taking an antibiotic at least.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    I'm not SCI so this may not be helpful for you. Probiotic was recommended to me at discharge after 5 month hospitalization 5 yrs. ago for pneumonia then cdiff. I've taken Garden of Life, from Amazon, since then. Took 2 or 3 per day for about a year, now 1 per day. Drink cup of very warm water when I get up in morning.
    When I tried to taper off the probiotic, symptoms started to creep up, so back to one per day, as directed, before food in am; swallow it with a small section of fruit.

probiotics are all different - it is good if you read the labels of the ingredients

acidophilus is a standard ingredient; lactobacillus is another.
    here is a reference you can look at
    www.medicine.net/probiotics

pbr
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 11-23-2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: edit sentence

SCI-Nurse, thank you for the reference card I've been up and down many aisles trying to figure out which probiotics would be the best for my needs. I had been taking a standard Walgreens brand and after finishing that purchased something called ultimate flora but I'm not sure I like it.

If a brand has a higher number of bacteria does that necessarily mean it's better and what about the type that needs to be refrigerated vs. the kind that just sits out in room temperature.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

I used Floragen when originally injured but stopped when I was off medications. Later, I started using the Walgreens version of Align. I was having dietary problems at the time. The probiotic messed me up terribly. I was since diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome and am on a helpful prescription. Since my bad experience, I've read up some on probiotics and some of them can be a bit much. Study up so you're prepared for the onslaught of claims from manufacturers.

The more bacteria, supposedly the better the product. That being said, not everyone needs more! It is more important that you look at the type of probiotic in the capsule, than the amount.
    It does help with bloating and gas. I found that yogurt with the probiotics was helpful and one less pill to take. Not sure if that fits into your lifestyle or budget. They definitely do help with the during/after antibiotic issues, but not sure that they have a big impact on regulating bowel programs.
    CKF

An imbalance of gut bacteria can happen on antibiotics. Antibiotics destroy the good gut bacteria along with the bad. Natural sources of probiotics such as kefir, kombucha, kimchi and other lacto-fermented products are great ways to restore the balance of friendly bacteria and dramatically improve your immune system. Other great ways is through the use of probiotic capsules. Try to find one that has many different strains of bacteria to repopulate the gut. Higher numbers of culture counts isn't necessarily better. Multi strand capsules covering the bases and starting slow is key. You can use yogurt with live active cultures, but they are not necessarily the best sources of beneficial bacteria. Sugar content in yogurt is something to watch. Be careful about eating sugar and carbohydrates in general. Bacteria love sugar. Artificial sweeteners such as Splenda (sucralose) have also been known to disrupt gut bacteria balance. Saccharomyces boulardii helps with diarrhea associated with ABX & C-Diff if that is the case.

If you still feel gassy, bloated and unregular after a couple of weeks of probiotic therapy, you might have an underlying problem that needs to be addressed first. Probiotics can, in some cases make digestive problems worse. You may have to rule out h. Pylori, c-diff, low stomach acid (yup, I said LOW stomach acid), gut dysbosis (
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysbiosis), SIBO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_i...ial_overgrowth), parasites, etc.

I eat different lacto-fermented veggies, drink kombucha & Kefir. I figured out that carbs and sugars were not helping me and artificial sweeteners were killing my gut. I also figured out that digestive enzymes were really helpful along with supplementation of hydrochloric acid at every meal helps, especially when digesting protein or fat.

I could go on for hours about this stuff! I hope that you figure out your issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Prerun View Post
    An imbalance of gut bacteria can happen on antibiotics. Antibiotics destroy the good gut bacteria along with the bad. Natural sources of probiotics such as kefir, kombucha, kimchi and other lacto-fermented products are great ways to restore the balance of friendly bacteria and dramatically improve your immune system. Other great ways is through the use of probiotic capsules. Try to find one that has many different strains of bacteria to repopulate the gut. Higher numbers of culture counts isn't necessarily better. Multi strand capsules covering the bases and starting slow is key. You can use yogurt with live active cultures, but they are not necessarily the best sources of beneficial bacteria. Sugar content in yogurt is something to watch. Be careful about eating sugar and carbohydrates in general. Bacteria love sugar. Artificial sweeteners such as Splenda (sucralose) have also been known to disrupt gut bacteria balance. Saccharomyces boulardii helps with diarrhea associated with ABX & C-Diff if that is the case.

If you still feel gassy, bloated and unregular after a couple of weeks of probiotic therapy, you might have an underlying problem that needs to be addressed first. Probiotics can, in some cases make digestive problems worse. You may have to rule out h. Pylori, c-diff, low stomach acid (yup, I said LOW stomach acid), gut dysbosis (
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysbiosis), SIBO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_i...ial_overgrowth), parasites, etc.

I eat different lacto-fermented veggies, drink kombucha & Kefir. I figured out that carbs and sugars were not helping me and artificial sweeteners were killing my gut. I also figured out that digestive enzymes were really helpful along with supplementation of hydrochloric acid at every meal helps, especially when digesting protein or fat.

I could go on for hours about this stuff! I hope that you figure out your issues.
    Great advice, sounds like you know what your talking about. I take a Diff-stat tablet a day and that helps out, it has a good mix of prebiotics and probiotics. I generally take a few Florastor pills a week too and try to eat right and yes, the kefir milk is good stuff, it can generally be found in markets In the yogurt section.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

YES! I've found that artificial sweeteners are a bugger. A half stick of sugar free gum and I'm off kilter for a week. Not worth the stomache aches.