Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surge LT handrims

Surge LT handrims

I got my new TiLite TR and like everything except for the Surge LT handrims. For some reason when I grab these handrims my hands end up hurting so bad through the thumb and palm on both hands. Have tried using gloves with padding in them and it doesn't help. My hands have become useless when using these. Used them for over a month now and the pain is so bad I can't sleep nights. Was starting to push on the tires with my knuckles to propel the chair. Going to have to look at getting something different for handrims.

I suspect your's still have the thumb ring on them. I think that thumb ring thing only works good for some people in special circumstances. Take your thumb rings off before giving up on these Surge push rings. I like the LT's.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thumb ring?

Is there a space between the push ring and your wheel? Or is there a metally thing that they expect you to press on with your thumb. Another way of asking the same question is can you wrap you hand all the way around the push rim, or does something get in the way preventing your fingers from touching (if long enough) your palm? That thing, the obstruction is the thumb ring. Get rid of it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Yes there is a space. I can wrap my whole hand around the handrim. The rubber strip must be pressing on a tendon in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Is there a space between the push ring and your wheel? Or is there a metally thing that they expect you to press on with your thumb. Another way of asking the same question is can you wrap you hand all the way around the push rim, or does something get in the way preventing your fingers from touching (if long enough) your palm? That thing, the obstruction is the thumb ring. Get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    Yes there is a space. I can wrap my whole hand around the handrim. The rubber strip must be pressing on a tendon in my hands.
    I'm sorry "no thumb ring" is not working for you. Maybe you need the thumb ring. It hurts my thumb to use one. I wish it was easier to try and swap these things back and forth to find out what is best on an individual basis.

Mine also cause me pain, but only in the right thumb and MUCH less awful than you're describing. I've ordered a pair of plain anodised ones to replace them, and in the meantime I'm using other wheels with other pushrims. I guess the Surges just don't work well for some of us--trouble is, that's not the sort of thing you can necessarily tell after a brief trial. It was a couple of months before I realised what was causing the discomfort, having initially assumed it was picking and holding (or attempting to hold!) high-pointers at rugby. Stopped using the Surges, no more thumb trouble.

If you have backup wheels, you could try posting in the sale/trade section here on CareCure in case someone with other pushrims in the same wheel size would like to swap?

Interesting. I had some pain using the Spinergy Flexrim but none whatsoever with the Surge LTs, which are my every day rims. It's clich? but true: we're all different.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I had thumb ring on my Natural Fit rims and took it off. This made the rims much more comfortable for me. Do Surge rims have thumb ring as well because I thought that was just the Natural Fit rims?

The CarboLife rings are the best I've ever had - I had enormous pain with the regular rings, got a little better with NaturalFits and Surge, is completely gone with CarboLife.

www.carbolife.de