Thread: c5/6 need advice on 3 things: shoes and socks, condom catheters, and bowel program

c5/6 need advice on 3 things: shoes and socks, condom catheters, and bowel program

Read next post. Messed up!
    Last edited by coricivic; 11-05-2014 at 02:57 AM.

c5/6 need advice on 3 things: shoes and socks, condom catheters, and bowel program

I'm a c5/6 quad and I do pretty much everything on my own and I have my own place. I'm looking to get to 100%. So where my place is is 10 minutes from my parents and 2 minutes from my dads work. He helps me in the morning getting up. I can get dressed on my own I'm just not sure about shoes and socks.

Also there's my bowel program. I use a suppository nut have someone else do it. Any advice on this? I've seen the inserter things but it a lot of times if I'm constipated it needs help coming out and I'm not sure how I'd deal with that.

Last is getting a condom catheter on the tube. I can get it at night when the bags off my leg but I can't get it on if it is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Me and a couple buddies are looking into getting a house and I need to atleast get the shoes and socks thing down. Having some rad roommates in a house downtown is something I was always bummed about never having. Plus I party every weekend there but it's 20 miles from my place and is really annoying at 4 in the morning. Trying to have a normal life has worked pretty well for me so far and this is just the next level for me. Thanks!

Socks or compression hose?? For regular socks, you can put them on with your push cuffs, or sew loops to the top of the sock and use a dressing stick or a finger to pull them on.

I am assuming you have the range to long sit with your chest on your thighs to do this.

For shoes, a dressing stick can also be helpful. Slip on shoes or those with velcro closures are easier than lace-ups.

Any way you can get a few sessions with a good SCI trained OT to help you with these skills?

Check out these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJQIPdsD8Lg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-6vUuSLb8k

For bowel care, you can try a suppository inserter and/or a digital stimulator which you can strap to you hand, and there are also devices to use for clean up. Another option would be to have a part-time PCA come in to help you with just bowel care, bathing and dressing, which you should be able to get down to 2 hours or less. Do you qualify for any state funded attendant care?

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 11-03-2014 at 11:24 PM.

My parents get paid to help. I want to be able to do my bowels so I can go on vacations n stuff. Also with getting a chik I'd like to not have to be like "btw, some lady comes and helps me shit everyday". I'll try n get setup w/ an OT for my shoes and socks.
    I'm really active and am out everyday w/ school, work, and having a social life. I'm really proud to be where I am but it's not enough. I'm 9 years post and need to quit being lazy and figure this stuff out. I'm finally really motivated due to almost graduating, a female of course cause women rule the world, and finding a good roommate.