Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be careful with hot water bottles during fall/winter below level of sensation

Be careful with hot water bottles during fall/winter below level of sensation

I thought the hot water bottle was above my level of sensation - I was wrong and have second degree burns on my thigh. This triggered incomprehensible neuropathic pain for a few days. 12 years into SCI and I still make mistakes?can't let guard down hopefully Name:  hot water bottle burn.jpg
Views: 2778
Size:  76.9 KB

So sorry. Hope you heal quickly.

All the best,
    GJ

Good warning to others with the cold weather coming on. Don't get too close to heaters or fireplaces. Despite the warnings, a couple of SCIs get burned around here every winter.

Hope those burn wounds heal quickly.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Was that hot water out of your tap, or heated on the stove? It seems awfully hot out of the tap, but I have most of my sensation. I'm sorry all you have to suffer through these things.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I once dropped a mug of scalding hot tea in my lap. Had second-degree burns on my genitals and inner thigh. Thank God all of the burns healed up well with the exception of a deep one on my inner thigh which left me with a pencil eraser sized thick keloid scar.

I would cover it with Silvadine cream followed by spenco second skin (gel sheet), followed by clean gauze and silk or paper tape. Change the dressing twice a day and be careful removing the dressing though the beauty of the second skin is that it prevents ripping of the wound. Gently clean with soap and water or spray with a wound cleansing spray. It will probably take about two months to fully heal.

Timely knowledge, thanks. I burned myself rather badly on both legs due doing something really stupid. I have an insulated mug I carry coffee with by wedging it between my legs. I got a really thick ceramic mug as a present and without thinking (hey I hadn't had my morning coffee) that is would be safe to transfer the same way. Its been a month of gauze and neosporin and it is still open and draining.

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    I would cover it with Silvadine cream followed by spenco second skin (gel sheet), followed by clean gauze and silk or paper tape. Change the dressing twice a day and be careful removing the dressing though the beauty of the second skin is that it prevents ripping of the wound. Gently clean with soap and water or spray with a wound cleansing spray. It will probably take about two months to fully heal.

Same thing with heating pads- always test temperature first!
    CWO

My first winter post injury I managed to burn my hands and soles of my feet pretty good using disposable hand warmers. Used them all the time as AB, figured I'd still could. Stupidity and ignorance on my part. Forgot how hot they can get even through a layer of fabric and that I used to take them out when they got uncomfortable warm. Learned my lesson after that.
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

Thanks for the replies - it is healing up. Got some Silvadene and dressings...

Three weeks later - It will take over a month to heal. I am lucky I moved the hot water bottle when I did. It was filled with boiling water out of a tap that we added to the sink - pretty dumb of me. Name:  llllllll.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  105.7 KB