Thread: Any Quads doing bowel program independantly? C6/7

Any Quads doing bowel program independantly? C6/7

Hi all ~ Well. Its been almost 2 and a half years since my husbands accident. We've been doing the bowel program the same ever since the beginning- In bed with disposable pads.. We don't usually bother with suppositories anymore, and just use stim, since he is on Narcotics, and needs it anyway.

Works fine but he really wants to work on doing it by himself. I'm just wondering if this is even possible? If anyone is doing it independantly- how? Did you just train yourself into a routine and jump on in the morn & go, or..... Any advice or input appreciated.. He is a C6/7 with semi good dexterity in his right hand, and zero mobility in his left. Core muscles are iffy.

He could try it. There is a device called the -Digi- stimmer he could try. Some use Enemeez (www.Enemeez.com -(Docusol is the generic)and report minimal dig stim is needed. the purpose of suppository is to move content down where it can be evacuated. Dig stim jus tempties what is there. But if it is working.
    Enemeez is a natural substance and not a chemical irritant.
    I am sure more response to come!

CWO

My son is a c6/7 and can do his BP on his own. Look up my post "My trick for using Enemeez" . I came up with this so that we could use the Enemeez and it would work. A big issue with Enemeez is getting the liquid up where it needs to go. My son wanted to learn to do this on his own. So I took my "invention" to Home Depot and found a metal washer that fit perfectly over the syringe. This allows my son to hold on to the syringe and, with the use of a mirror, insert the Enemeez and push on the syringe (he does this while on his commode/shower chair). I will try to post a picture, but I still cannot figure out how to do it!!! Sooooo frustrating!

Last edited by Brent K; 11-02-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks Mombo ! I read the whole post, and there is a lot of helpful information in there. Even one guy who said that he had very little hand function and still manages to do it himself. I'm liking this idea, and it sounds like with a little bit of Mirilax it could work. Started Mirilax a day or two ago. First, we will find the magic number for that to keep the consistency appropriate, and then we'll try the enemeez..

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
    Thanks Mombo ! I read the whole post, and there is a lot of helpful information in there. Even one guy who said that he had very little hand function and still manages to do it himself. I'm liking this idea, and it sounds like with a little bit of Mirilax it could work. Started Mirilax a day or two ago. First, we will find the magic number for that to keep the consistency appropriate, and then we'll try the enemeez..
    I hope this works for your husband. Tell him it takes some practice but it is well worth it!!! My son has learned to "clean up" afterwards as well!

30 years post injury C-7 quad, semi incomplete. Through a process of trial and error after few months post injury I stopped using suppositories because I found them coming out with the stool during bowel program while using a "commode chair", laying in bed doesn't work very well, nurses encouraged me to try to push, with some additional stimulation I was able to evacuate my bowels. Now, for over 25 years I can transfer to a toilet, lightly push, and wipe my butt applying light pressure with toilet paper and am able to evacuate my bowels in 15 or so minutes, no digital stimulation. I go every other night as a routine and take 2 Fiber-Con bulk laxative tablets daily as recommended by intestinal doctor with a great deal of spinal cord experience. So yes it is possible, it is different from person to person, and trial and error takes time and effort. In the long run it makes a great difference in your quality of life and independence.
    Good luck.