Thread: Airplane/wheelchair size

Airplane/wheelchair size

Hi, is there a way of telling what aircraft a power wheelchair can fit into? I know the doors in the baggage compartments vary by airplane. I'm concerned my chair wouldn't fit into a regional jet (in this case an Embraer 175 from Philadelphia to Charleston).

The best way to find out is to talk to the airline.

Otherwise, you can frequently find cargo door dimensions online once you know the type of aircraft.

It will go in but it won't be upright. Odds are high they will place it on its back or side....increasing the chance of damage.
    I had a list of different commercial airlines with door width etc so I knew whether the powerchair would fit through the cargo door in an upright position or not.

Resurrecting this thread with another question. I'm due to fly June 3 on an AA 321T. On AA's website it says the cargo doors are 46 inches high, which my chair should fit with no problem. But the last time I flew 2 yrs ago on a United 319, they had trouble fitting the chair (had to be tilted), although the website says 71" door height. Am I missing something?

I just flew AA and while i have a manual chair I can tell you the service was absolutely awful. I requested a aisle seat and was given a middle (leg room is horrible). One of several issues I had with American - - if at all possible pick another airline.