Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to secure wireless security camera?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Well that system would not be something I would choose but everyone has different needs and abilities. If, for example, where you want to setup this system has a static IP address (or you can setup dyndns), you know how to open ports and setup a NAT rule to the machine running the software you have a lot more options when it comes to viewing stuff remotely than if you had no idea what I just said.

Wired systems in this day and age seem like a PIA and unnecessary. There are systems that send the signal over you 110v power, but if you have a large house with multiple fuse boxes they aren't practical (if you have a smaller house they are).

Linksys still supports the system I have (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/video-...ring-services#) , they just don't sell it anymore. I actually am happy with it and these days I don't expect technology to last more than 5 years.
    I was in a bit of a rush when I posted that system. This one is closer to what I'd want, but I'd like to add a couple of pan/tilt cams for the front and back, with channels for a couple more cams if we want. When it comes time we'll go around the house more thoroughly and decide if we should go with more channels right out of the gate, but this is the basic idea. The HD systems are nice, but a lot more pricey.

http://www.lorextechnology.com/Secur...Fek7MgodsG8A_w

The house is a couple thousand sq/ft. Not huge, but I agree wiring can be a pain. I've done that in the past with an alarm system I had years ago and it wasn't much fun. Most of the wiring then went through the attic or basement, but with our two-story house now it would be a little more challenging. It's nice that Logitech still supports your system. That illustrates the value of buying from a solid company.

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    What router would you recommend? We have wireless video games sucking all of the speed out of ours. Sometimes it seems to run slow for no reason as well.
    I have a Nighthawk R7000 (like 24/7 quad) and two AC1200 WiFi Range Extenders. I have a large house so you may not need the range extenders, the R7000 has a good range plus plenty of horsepower to support video games (my kid and I play portal 2). If you do Netflix, Amazon Instant Video it supports a spearate 5G network with QOS for streaming video. Also, if you buy from amazon remember to use the Jim Bennent Foundation for Spinal Cord Research: http://smile.amazon.com/ref=cm_sw_r_..._mry9I.1NCE3JW
    Last edited by t8burst; 11-01-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added props to 24/7

I looked at the blue iris software 24/7 quad recommended. Most likely when I refresh my system I will use something like that combined with a dedicated machine to run it and then buy wireless IP cameras from whatever company has the best price/performance for what I want (for example an outdoor camera watching my driveway would rate a higher cost than a static camera just trained on my basement door to alert when it opens). I liked how it integrates with different camera vendors (from the website, unlike 24/7 I have not used it). I probably would try http://www.zoneminder.com/ first given my preference for Linux over windows (and the fact you can get the source code so I could mod or fix things I don't like).

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg View Post
    I was in a bit of a rush when I posted that system. This one is closer to what I'd want, but I'd like to add a couple of pan/tilt cams for the front and back, with channels for a couple more cams if we want. When it comes time we'll go around the house more thoroughly and decide if we should go with more channels right out of the gate, but this is the basic idea. The HD systems are nice, but a lot more pricey.

http://www.lorextechnology.com/Secur...Fek7MgodsG8A_w

The house is a couple thousand sq/ft. Not huge, but I agree wiring can be a pain. I've done that in the past with an alarm system I had years ago and it wasn't much fun. Most of the wiring then went through the attic or basement, but with our two-story house now it would be a little more challenging. It's nice that Logitech still supports your system. That illustrates the value of buying from a solid company.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I have a Nighthawk R7000 (like 24/7 quad) and two AC1200 WiFi Range Extenders. I have a large house so you may not need the range extenders, the R7000 has a good range plus plenty of horsepower to support video games (my kid and I play portal 2). If you do Netflix, Amazon Instant Video it supports a spearate 5G network with QOS for streaming video. Also, if you buy from amazon remember to use the Jim Bennent Foundation for Spinal Cord Research: http://smile.amazon.com/ref=cm_sw_r_..._mry9I.1NCE3JW
    Thank You T8Burst

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    How about Dropcam: https://www.dropcam.com/

Dropcam charges you yearly for using their servers.

I have this one http://www.amazon.com/Y-cam-HomeMoni.../dp/B00H8OE9V2

It works great, even at night. Has motion detection with email notification and you can view it live on your cell phone or computer.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    I use the same logic as I would with a salesman who says "trust me". If it has not been subject to open review and claims to be secure then it clearly is not.

The best security cams are public web cams as loader driver can't conspire with the weigh bridge operator as they don't know who else could be watching.

I.e. you can only have security with full disclosure. If there is not then that is presumptive evidence of some one doing something improper.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    WPA is only secure if secret is kept secret. WPA private involves sharing secret so it is not private. WPA enterprise each user has their own secret that they not allowed to share. However, insecure system may share it for them. For example these don't have the same force as a signature if used a PC as you can show PC vulnerable harvesting and other malware. On PC protecting credentials with pass phrase may offer more, but the pass phrase could be harvested too.

WEP is trivial as it re-uses key!

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I have 2 D-Link cameras which work well but are constantly requiring Firmware updates and must be done by ethernet cable, not wireless. As a quad without hand function and home care workers to help me, this has become almost impossible for me. They also only allow very limited set-ups for recording times.

I have had practically anything that can fit into a pocket or a purse stolen from me so what I actually need is 2 cameras that can record over and over again. When I am in the shower, they even load stuff into their vehicles.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt