Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invivo therapeutics

Invivo therapeutics

Has there been any information on their chronic clinical trial using the biodegradable scaffold technology with stem cells? Also has anyone had any luck getting a response from them using their website contact information? They don't seem to respond to my emails. I was inquiring about their hydrogel technology, and whether or not they completely discontinued it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Has there been any information on their chronic clinical trial using the biodegradable scaffold technology with stem cells? Also has anyone had any luck getting a response from them using their website contact information? They don't seem to respond to my emails. I was inquiring about their hydrogel technology, and whether or not they completely discontinued it.
    Here is a recent presentation from Invivo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ale...15-Fy8vxQMgRqZ

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

An informative comment to an analist article:

New information about rat contusion BBB scores came to my attention this weekend. I pulled what I could together so that you would have this new data/information as it could have an impact on your decision to stay invested in NVIV. After reviewing what I could find, I’ll be staying the course.
    This video http://bit.ly/1tCXQGk of Dr. Ulich (NVIV) was presented at the Stem Cell Meeting on the Mesa on October 7, 2014 and posted on YouTube on October 22nd. During his briefing, Dr Ulich provided data regarding the rat contusion model. This is important because this is the model that most closely resembles the medical condition of human SCI patients.
    This data caused a lot of concern on the message boards and with myself this weekend as this information as far as I can recall was never stated to investors in the past. Dr Ulich stated that “We did not see functional improvement in this experiment. The reasons why we didn’t is probably because there’s a big variability in the correlation between white matter and locomotor capacity. Although it’s well known and well documented that increasing the white matter favors increasing locomotor activity.”
    I took this information and reviewed it in the context of previous published data/information.
    Rats’ data in the video were measured by what is known as a BBB score. This score is made by human observation. The mean score for rats with a contusion injury is under 10. The accepted score for “walking”, not normal mind you, but weight bearing, is a BBB score of 10 or greater. Please keep in mind that the mean score for rats with hemisection is also under 10, but according to Frank, the green monkeys with hemisection all walked. Also, day 35 seems to be the day when the scaffold with no cells effect peaks regardless if it’s rats or green monkeys. Again with respect to the human trial, that puts us at November 18th if surgery was performed on October 14th. Earliest surgery could have been formed on the patient is October 9th. Five weeks comes out around November 9th. Now, let me try and put the rat contusion model’s score in more context.
    It appears that in the Rat Contusion and Hemisection Models’ Neuro-Scaffold no-cells BBB Scores were between 8 and 9.
    In the paper, “Functional Recovery Following Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury Mediated by a Unique Polymer Scaffold seeded with Neural Stem Cells”, it shows that the BBB score for rats can be highly variable. See http://bit.ly/1197pMm. The rats in this study had a hemisection not a contusion injury.
    “In contrast, the cells-alone and lesion-control groups only achieved stabilized mean BBB scores of 6 and 7, respectively. Encouragingly, the scaffold-alone group also achieved a mean BBB score of≈9, which indicates the onset of weight-supported locomotion, suggesting that even the scaffold alone is capable of leading to improvement in functional recovery. Defining the onset of significant walking behavior as achieving a BBB score of 10 or greater at 70 days p.i., 69% of the scaffold plus cells groups, 54% of the scaffold alone, but only 17% of the cells-alone and 33% of lesion-control groups attained BBB score of at least 10.” (p.i. stands for post implantation) This is why I said the rat data can be highly variable.
    According to Frank, all monkeys were tested using the hemisection model and all of those monkeys walked. No monkeys were ever tested using the contusion model.
    So looking at the BBB score of the Rat Contusion model as presented by Dr. Ulich in the context of the rat and primate hemisection models “seems to indicate” that primates have more neuroplasticity ability than rats. This is probably why all hemisection primates with scaffold only were able to walk. Since the BBB scores for contusion/hemisection for rats are quite similar, it stands that there is a better than 50% chance that a human will walk, but in the context of primate data, probably even higher chance that a human would walk. The mean for the Green Monkeys looks to be around 10. See “Establishing a Model Spinal Cord Injury in the African Green Monkey for the Preclinical Evaluation of Biodegradable Polymer Scaffolds Seeded with Human Neural Stem Cells”. See http://bit.ly/12bhIC1. hNSC stands for human neural stem cells. Also note, that the score seems to be achieved around the 35th day.
    So in summary, we can’t predict that the patient will walk based on the rat contusion model alone, but when the observations are made in the context of the rat hemisection scores in relation to the green monkey hemisection scores, it “appears” that there is a good chance the patient could walk.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2564...0&v=1413719100

My answer:

The bigger is the spinal cord the more room you have for plasticity in case of hemisection where 50% of the spinal cord is not injured.
    So it is not surprising that monkeys with hemisection recovered better than rats with hemisection.
    Problem is that humans have contusion, so you should expect worse recovery than what has been observed in mokeys with hemisection in my opinion.
    What do you think about the timing of intervention?
    I think that is a very important variable, if you don't use the same time window of animal studies the chances of success are even less in my opinion.
    That said I still think Invivo is in a positon of relative power as it has gone from basic research to clinical trial.
    In my opinion Invivo for the future should:
    1) engage more biomaterial experts which have worked out promising biomaterial in labs, but have no chances to get them into people because it's a step too big for them. This way Invivo can prepare a plan "B", "C" etc. in case the scaffold they are using will not work well enough as I expect
    2) Get out of acute SCI approach (and refocus on chronic), it's a swamp that will drive the company to bankrupt as it has happened before to other companies because of the time needed for recuting, the number of patients and the number of centers needed to get a trial done
    3) establish a collaboration with an other company working on complementary approaches to cure SCI such as Neuralstem

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    An informative comment to an analist article:

In my opinion Invivo for the future should:
    1) engage more biomaterial experts which have worked out promising biomaterial in labs, but have no chances to get them into people because it's a step too big for them. This way Invivo can prepare a plan "B", "C" etc. in case the scaffold they are using will not work well enough as I expect
    2) Get out of acute SCI approach (and refocus on chronic), it's a swamp that will drive the company to bankrupt as it has happened before to other companies because of the time needed for recuting, the number of patients and the number of centers needed to get a trial done
    3) establish a collaboration with an other company working on complementary approaches to cure SCI such as Neuralstem

Paolo
    First they have to find twenty facilities that work with them. Just the IRB process slows this stuff down. It is a start !
    Last edited by c473s; 10-30-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Have they put the scaffold technology into any human acute injuries yet? They've been talking about it for almost a year and a half. And you're right they need to focus on chronics. But I doubt any of their animal models are chronic injuries.

Honestly in terms of working with a company like neuralstem iam more interested in hydrogels. Imagine perfectly healthy cells after injection fixated at the injury site, great potential I would say considering almost all stem cell trials report that the cells either die or dissipate from injury site before significant recovery can occur.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Have they put the scaffold technology into any human acute injuries yet? They've been talking about it for almost a year and a half. And you're right they need to focus on chronics. But I doubt any of their animal models are chronic injuries.

Honestly in terms of working with a company like neuralstem iam more interested in hydrogels. Imagine perfectly healthy cells after injection fixated at the injury site, great potential I would say considering almost all stem cell trials report that the cells either die or dissipate from injury site before significant recovery can occur.

I swear I heard that invivo said that they have the largest population of chronicly injured animals
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    I swear I heard that invivo said that they have the largest population of chronicly injured animals
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1682393

So they're maintaining a giant population of injured animals? What is the cost for that? I have a hard time believing this. The care for injured animals is sky high, and to just be sitting on injured animals seems like a real waste of money. Either way this is bullshit or Invivo is not a very streamlined company.
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

I have no idea how many animals they've used in their various experiments in preparation for the chronic neural stem cell/ scaffold combination they're bringing to market.

Last edited by GRAMMY; 11-01-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I have no idea how many animals they've used in their various experiments in preparation for the chronic neural stem cell/ scaffold combination they're bringing to market.

Good video, the only thing is the scaffold technology won't protect the neural stem cell from the harsh injection process. Which is an issue I would think. Has there ever been a successful glial scar removal surgery done in a human patient.?