Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exactly how should I go about reversing osteoporosis?

Exactly how should I go about reversing osteoporosis?

So I finally got my bone density scan back today, no good news two bones in my legs one of my thigh the other in my shin are basically at the fracture threshold almost. Other spots like my hip and my lumbar spine aren't doing well, I'm doing bloodwork to rule out three conditions or diseases that sounds pretty awful. My doctor says it's highly unlikely I have them though, but just to be safe we have to rule them.

So soon I will be starting with a Bisphosphonate but what is the best route of therapy just a standing frame for many hours a day, a gait trainer like the lokomat, or an FES bike?

Any information and help is beyond greatly appreciated. This has been one of my greatest fears related to paralysis inContexts to it's secondary complications, and will greatly affect my plans for the future, directing them to one option. Bad bone density will not get me into you, that's not acceptable. I will do whatever I can to reverse this, time, effort, and money even though that's a bit of an issue. (also unfortunately I need help with applying stem pads, and getting in and out of any equipment) nonetheless I will do my very best, and do my best to find the necessary help I need uhh...

James,

I've pasted a link to a decent review article that may give you some of the information you're seeking. When my husband was in acute rehab, the doctors weren't doing prophylactic osteoporosis treatment with biphosphonates. The pendulum has since swung in the other direction but he'd already missed the potential therapeutic window.

Best wishes for your health and safety.

http://omicsonline.org/spinal-cord-i...mr.1000127.pdf

You also need to ensure your calcium intake is 1200 a day and you have a normal Vitamin D level and if not take supplements.
    CWO

Is it common for osteoporosis to occur just 2 years after injury?

Wow, it does happen fast- http://link.springer.com/article/10....198-005-2028-8
    Last edited by Jim; 10-30-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Is it common for osteoporosis to occur just 2 years after injury?

Wow, it does happen fast- http://link.springer.com/article/10....198-005-2028-8
    I know Jim, it's ridiculous. I was athlete as you know before, and I would exercise everything from my ankles to my grip strength to my traps and neck. So even though I have no sensation I'm very in tune with my body, which can work against me when I have an infection or stones it is extremely painful. But even a year after my injury I already had osteopenia, and I swear I could feel my bones weakening, I compared it to and call it rotting. Just wrong, very unnatural.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    James,

I've pasted a link to a decent review article that may give you some of the information you're seeking. When my husband was in acute rehab, the doctors weren't doing prophylactic osteoporosis treatment with biphosphonates. The pendulum has since swung in the other direction but he'd already missed the potential therapeutic window.

Best wishes for your health and safety.

http://omicsonline.org/spinal-cord-i...mr.1000127.pdf

Thank you so much for the information it was helpful. It seems that a standing frame is not going to cut it, FES will be a expensive solution especially use for five days a week. Things run upwards of 30 grand, and it seems that they are only so effective and they can't fully reverse it. Damn... Did I read correctly that the biphosphonate can cause the bones to Deform when under too much continuous stress?

I will do my best part, shouldn't be a problem, definitely not taking calcium supplements though I've already had trouble with stones, but vitamin D supplements shouldn't be a problem. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    My Doc is trying me on testosterone right now. January will be 1 year on it and I'll have another bone density test then.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Re: "Damn... Did I read correctly that the biphosphonate can cause the bones to Deform when under too much continuous stress?"

The review article mentioned that starting biphosphonates in the first year post injury can increase maximum torque capacity.
    I'll defer to the CareCure engineers, but my understanding is that means an increase in the maximum turning or twisting forces that can be applied to a bone before if fatigues or fractures. So increasing maximum torque capacity would be a good thing.

I will figure out the FES problem, but I am just over two years post and already had a lot of decomposing does that mean that Biphosphonate will be of little use for me to reverse the damage? If so should I look into, testosterone maybe? Or something else?