Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ZX1 lithium ion battery retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    ... Most I have communicated with have discarded the BMS and use a different Battery charger.....clip...without the draw back of "cut out" from high draw rates without the BMS.
    If they are charging relying only on the circuitry of the charger, and using the wrong millamp charger, I hope they are doing so outside. On the other hand, the draw down, run time is not as much of an issue, because once the battery pack is charged and balanced it is ready to be used.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I would be curious if Takenaback can tell us whatever possible about the BMS and battery -- make, model, and perhaps photo's?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

There is a pretty high output hobby charger I need to look up the name @75 I tend to forget stuff now I'm particularly bad with names. But this is where the cells connect to the charger to measure the equalization. This is why I suggested folks go to the two sites. It is also why I particularly stated LiFePO4 --Headway 38140S 12 AH make for the perfect width, However these are hardly initially cheap $1000 + but with a 100% 10 year life span and near 80% after that 30% +/- more usable power and far less internal resistance, the cost is relative. The BMS negates the resistence factor making them fail in inopportune times. But follow the writer of the WheelChairDriver's logic, see if you can't agree.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/

Here try to read this page before anything else see if he doesn't pick at your interest. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-M...powerchair.htm If any picture pages don't open right click and hit show picture. There is more information on this site for true tinkerers and just folks who want to create beautiful power wheelchairs. Take a look at that battery system, take a long look at the electronics. This is a paralized guy but a perfectionist building his chairs in his bedroom. If he can do why can't many of us do it?

Now remember John will tell you the way he built and balanced his is not perfect for every wheelie but you can make it to suit you.

Nothing personal Bob Sullivan, but I would like to hear information directly related to the ZX-1. I've followed WheelChairDriver.com for a few years, but don't really have the time to become a power hobbyist. Not saying that your information is not appreciated or useful, as it very much is, but it is just more than some of us are able to dive into.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I have to see exactly what a ZX1 is ! But the power system is related X- DC Volts are X- DC volts, amps are amps, etc etc The question are you at all interested in making a power pack that will not let you down at a critical time? It doesn't matter how you assimilate the information or how you decide to use it, if at all. This is a battery system you can adapt to your situation "I believe" and not strand you.

But it is your choice.

I have to see exactly what a ZX1 is ! But the power system is related X- DC Volts are X- DC volts, amps are amps, etc etc The question are you at all interested in making a power pack that will not let you down at a critical time? It doesn't matter how you assimilate the information or how you decide to use it, if at all. This is a battery system you can adapt to your situation "I believe" and not strand you.

But it is your choice. I am not going to beat a dead mule, and will leave it at this LiFePO4 batteries are relavent to your add on ZX-1 power unit.

All you have to do is fit them or see if the cells available can be physically fit into your space available. Not reinvent the wheel. Just remember 8 cells equal 25.4 VDC or if you are looking at 12 VDC 4 cells at ? AH will give you that.

I will continue to speak with "nonoise" if he is interested in continuing on this thread.

Here try to read this page before anything else see if he doesn't pick at your interest. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-M...powerchair.htm If any picture pages don't open right click and hit show picture. There is more information on this site for true tinkerers and just folks who want to create beautiful power wheelchairs. Take a look at that battery system, take a long look at the electronics. This is a paralized guy but a perfectionist building his chairs in his bedroom. If he can do why can't many of us do it?

Now remember John will tell you the way he built and balanced his is not perfect for every wheelie but you can make it to suit you.
    Bob, he has posted on CC several times in the past and his accomplishments are admirable. The OP asked about the ZX-1's controller.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I did address Takenaback's question in reply post #8 and #6 as well in this thread. All controllers do basicly the same thing using pretty much the same basic electronic schemes, but they are wired differently. plug ins connect different wires to different places. The only major differences is whether the system is 12 VDC -24VDC or some other voltage which I stated in not so many words in Post #8.

What is being asked is why did the BMS trip out and how to circumvent this problem, or am I mistaken? Evidently the BMS has a cut out, that is like all BMS' are, too conservatively set. This is not "I believe" to be a part of the controller but a seperate function of the BMS. Eliminate the offending part it serves no purpose except to tell you you have used too much power and either instantly used too much or collectiveny used too much because you didn't charge you batteries or you went beyond the limits you should have set for yourself. No battery system likes to be run down to zero AH absolutely none. It will kill every battery system or at the very least shorten the lonjevity of them drastically.

The gain you get from all lipo's is they have more stored usable power than lead/acid. Read the stuff on Battery University site its good and practical. If you know you have stored power for 10 miles and you try to go 12 or more then you know you have killed your batteries lipo's or Lead/acid or whatever. That is all a BMS is doing good for you. Overdraw is instantanious run a amp meter on your feed circuit and you can see it. Unless you put that unit against a wall and run it until it bburns up, you should never over draw the system
    Last edited by Bob Sullivan; 10-25-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Clarify

Polst 19:
    I did address that in reply post #8 in this thread...clip...
    Post #8
    I have programmed my Action Controller with "their" = Action controller's Programmer. Each manufacturer makes their own...clip.
    Post 17:
    I have to see exactly what a ZX1 is ! ...clip...
    We agree on that.