Thread: Icon Customer Service

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Icon Customer Service

I bought an older Icon from BriRi back in September, and really liked it. I did not have enough adjustment left in my ZRA to get as much dump as I wanted, so the first thing I did was change the seat angle. It was great to be able to go down the first steep 8" of my in-floor ramp without feeling off balance. I played with moving the wing in and out until I was happy, lowered the seat height, Tweaked the CG. Looking at photos of other Icons I noticed that they had a dust cap on the bottom of the threaded base, and asked BriRi if he had forgotten to ship it. He looked around but did not remember there ever being one, and CC'd his reply to Jeff Adams, co-founder of Icon Wheelchairs. Jeff got back to me and asked for the serial number to see when it was made. There was none, so he went back through his old sales records and emailed me a few days later to let me know that I had one of the very early chairs.

He said that they had learned a lot since then, and even though I did not buy the chair from Icon, he would like to upgrade it with parts from a recent returned demo. I shipped it up to Toronto, and after waiting for a new seat pan to come it, they did an upgrade and shipped it back. Unfortunately it took FedEx 10 days to get it through customs and back to Massachusetts - did I mention that I hate FedEx?

The core unit may be refurbished, but it looks new to me, and all of the other parts are new. The only parts that came back from my old chair were the 4" casters, the carbon fiber seat, and the clamps for mounting my brakes ( I had pulled the brakes off to save shipping weight). And, I now have a dust cover!

When Jeff says that he and Christian are not in it just for the money, he's not kidding!
    Last edited by Donno; 10-22-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typo
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I'm so jealous! And also glad you got the chair. God its killing me waiting so long for mine. They're only just NOW sending the request to medicaid, and it has to be denied by medicaid and then the request for the funding from VR before being able to order it. And we met August 27th for the evaluation, talk about slow service. Jeff even went out of his way to contact me and ask how things were going since he hadn't seen my order come through yet. Talk about personalized great customer service, watching for my order! And with the price change happening right around then he also contacted me to put someone in contact with the DME guy to ensure I was getting the up to date pricing for everything. Went out of his way to make sure I was paying LESS. You're not kidding about them not being in it for the money And I called Jeff's cell recently to solve a nitpicky issue the DME was having to get things moving, I felt really bad just calling his cell with no notice and after 5pm but he kept saying not to worry about it and to call him again if I need anything.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Donno,

Awesome!!! Wish I could have kept it but it just wasn't getting used for my specific purposes. Glad to see it ended up in a home where it could be appreciated. It truly is a versatile chair. I promise there was no dust cap when I received it!!! I told you that Jeff would hook you up if you needed anything. Awesome customer service at ICON.

BTW, it was originally impounded for about 3 weeks by the FDA before I received it due to some paperwork snafu. I wouldn't blame FedEx, just your overzealous nanny state government looking to control every aspect of your life…..

Good Luck!!!

Blog Entries
    BriRi, if it had just been the FDA, I would have understood. I got a notice from Fedex that they needed a letter from me that authorized Fedex to act as my agent at customs. I found the address to email the letter to with three or four phone calls, and sent it within a couple of hours of getting the notice. That was on Friday, and it was not cleared until the following Thursday. But I'm doing much better now...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury